Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix mail : sender/reply to
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix mail : sender/reply to Post 247 by Neo on Wednesday 15th of November 2000 05:27:47 PM
Old 11-15-2000
Is there any particular reason you are using that version of mail() and non another command line mail utility?

OBTW: The way I do what you are trying to do is to use the fact that most mailers (elm, mail, sendmail, etc.) will read header syntax in the body of the message and extract that information. I have done this many times in the past. Unfortunately I don't have examples in front of me today.

The basic idea is that these mailers will scan the message for "RFC 822 header keywords" like the ones you are wanting to use and that becomes part of the outgoing message header. Works great! I just don't have the information in front of me to give the exact syntax. I have seen this in the documentation, but can't remember (off hand) what exact document to point you to.

[Edited by Neo on 11-15-2000 at 07:49 PM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail without sender's id!

I found a mail which confused me a lot! since it did not contain any information regarding the sender of that mail. Is it possible to do like this? First i thought there was something wrong with the mail server.. but the subject of that mail still confused "nobody". How is it possible? or can I do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail Sender

Hello All, My unix (AIX 5.2) login is robk, my MS Exchange user name is rkapfer. What I want to do is send mail as rkapfer while logged in (to unix) as robk. I'm currently doing uuencode <pdf> <pdf>|mail -s"Subject" <recipient> works fine except the recipient sees me as robk@xyz.com.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkapfer
0 Replies

3. AIX

Change sender e-mail address

When sending emails to the outside world, aix present itself as d_prod@production1.pdc.itercom.org. This is causing some issue with our e-mail server. So we need to change the name to d_prod@itercom.org... Does any one know how this can be accomplished? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cchiang12
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change mail sender in unix aix

Hi All, I have a ksh script, in which it sends mail successfully but from root id(root@system.com). I want it to be sent as customid@system.com. I verified man pages of mail, and found '-u userid' option. But it is failing. code snippet below: mail -s "subject" -u $customid... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Mail::Sender Doubt

I am using the below code to send an email #!/usr/bin/perl sub BEGIN { unshift (@INC,'/opt/dev/common/mds/perlLib'); } use Mail::Sender; $sender = new Mail::Sender {smtp => 'xxx.xxx.x.xx', from => 'abc@xyz.xom'}; $sender->MailFile({to => 'abc@xyz.xom', subject => 'Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail::Sender - How to Check Result Code?

I have a code block which sends a mail using Mail::Sender. Everything works great now. I just want to know how to check whether the status of sending mail is success or failure. Based on which I will log the result in my log file. How can I do this? Any idea please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail -s help ,change the sender to correct one

Hi expert I use mail -s "hello" bruce@sohu.com <kernel-img.conf send mail, it display the sender is lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010.corp.ad..com How can I change the sender to yanglei.fage@gmail.com to default ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To define a sender name in mail command

Hi, I am using the unix script to send a report on daily basis using the mail command. Here the sender name is appearing as myname i.e. chandru (userid@machine.unix.domain.com). Is there any way to change sender name as a user defined name? example i need to change it to SupportTeam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: schandru
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to send mail with sender mail address and name?

Hi, I am trying to send a mail using "mail" command in unix. I wanted to give sender name and sender address. I tried different options ,but still it shows only mail address(No name). mail -s "Alert mail : Nothing running !!!" $email -- -F"Mail Alert" -fno-reply@alert.com But I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM (in reply to MAIL FROM comm

I am having trouble getting mail to work on a red hat server. At first I was getting this message. Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: connect to :25: Connection refused Then added the port to my firewall. Then I temporarily turned off selinux. I then copied this file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
mbox(5) 							File Formats Manual							   mbox(5)

NAME
mbox - file containing mail messages INTRODUCTION
The most common format for storage of mail messages is mbox format. An mbox is a single file containing zero or more mail messages. MESSAGE FORMAT
A message encoded in mbox format begins with a From_ line, continues with a series of non-From_ lines, and ends with a blank line. A From_ line means any line that begins with the characters F, r, o, m, space: From god@heaven.af.mil Sat Jan 3 01:05:34 1996 Return-Path: <god@heaven.af.mil> Delivered-To: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu Date: 3 Jan 1996 01:05:34 -0000 From: God <god@heaven.af.mil> To: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu (D. J. Bernstein) How's that mail system project coming along? The final line is a completely blank line (no spaces or tabs). Notice that blank lines may also appear elsewhere in the message. The From_ line always looks like From envsender date moreinfo. envsender is one word, without spaces or tabs; it is usually the envelope sender of the message. date is the delivery date of the message. It always contains exactly 24 characters in asctime format. moreinfo is optional; it may contain arbitrary information. Between the From_ line and the blank line is a message in RFC 822 format, as described in qmail-header(5), subject to >From quoting as described below. HOW A MESSAGE IS DELIVERED
Here is how a program appends a message to an mbox file. It first creates a From_ line given the message's envelope sender and the current date. If the envelope sender is empty (i.e., if this is a bounce message), the program uses MAILER-DAEMON instead. If the envelope sender contains spaces, tabs, or newlines, the program replaces them with hyphens. The program then copies the message, applying >From quoting to each line. >From quoting ensures that the resulting lines are not From_ lines: the program prepends a > to any From_ line, >From_ line, >>From_ line, >>>From_ line, etc. Finally the program appends a blank line to the message. If the last line of the message was a partial line, it writes two newlines; oth- erwise it writes one. HOW A MESSAGE IS READ
A reader scans through an mbox file looking for From_ lines. Any From_ line marks the beginning of a message. The reader should not attempt to take advantage of the fact that every From_ line (past the beginning of the file) is preceded by a blank line. Once the reader finds a message, it extracts a (possibly corrupted) envelope sender and delivery date out of the From_ line. It then reads until the next From_ line or end of file, whichever comes first. It strips off the final blank line and deletes the quoting of >From_ lines and >>From_ lines and so on. The result is an RFC 822 message. COMMON MBOX VARIANTS
There are many variants of mbox format. The variant described above is mboxrd format, popularized by Rahul Dhesi in June 1995. The original mboxo format quotes only From_ lines, not >From_ lines. As a result it is impossible to tell whether From: djb@silverton.berkeley.edu (D. J. Bernstein) To: god@heaven.af.mil >From now through August I'll be doing beta testing. Thanks for your interest. was quoted in the original message. An mboxrd reader will always strip off the quoting. mboxcl format is like mboxo format, but includes a Content-Length field with the number of bytes in the message. mboxcl2 format is like mboxcl but has no >From quoting. These formats are used by SVR4 mailers. mboxcl2 cannot be read safely by mboxrd readers. UNSPECIFIED DETAILS
There are many locking mechanisms for mbox files. qmail-local always uses flock on systems that have it, otherwise lockf. The delivery date in a From_ line does not specify a time zone. qmail-local always creates the delivery date in GMT so that mbox files can be safely transported from one time zone to another. If the mtime on a nonempty mbox file is greater than the atime, the file has new mail. If the mtime is smaller than the atime, the new mail has been read. If the atime equals the mtime, there is no way to tell whether the file has new mail, since qmail-local takes much less than a second to run. One solution is for a mail reader to artificially set the atime to the mtime plus 1. Then the file has new mail if and only if the atime is less than or equal to the mtime. Some mail readers place Status fields in each message to indicate which messages have been read. SEE ALSO
maildir(5), qmail-header(5), qmail-local(8) mbox(5)