Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit Post 24666 by JporterFDX on Tuesday 16th of July 2002 11:26:37 AM
Old 07-16-2002
rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit

I am trying to write a script that will look for a file in a directory, then remove it. I need it to loop until it has removed a certain number of files. Is it better to do a repeat or to list each file in a pattern? Files will be numbered like RAF.01.*, RAF.02.*, etc. Thanks, James

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line counting in Directory

I want to count the no of lines for files (.c and .h) present in a directory structure. My code is: #!/bin/bash # Usage: linecount.sh directory_name for file in $(find $1 -name ); do wc -l "$file" >> filecount.txt done Problem is that the directory structure is really big... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through the directory

Hi, I have to write a KSH script to loop through the directory and transfer all the files through FTP. The source machine is the Network shared drive and the files in the directory needs to be FTPied to the UNIX server. For eg. Directory (Datasource) + Directory1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a looping script for all files in directory

I have three different linux command scripts that I run for 20+ files in one directory. it goes like this FIRST SCRIPT: grep 'something' -w file > newfile1 . . . grep 'something -w file > newfile20 then I take all these 'newfileN' and run this: awk 'BEGIN {... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting files in a given directory

Hi all, Need some help counting files... :) I'm trying to count the number of files in a given directory (and subdirectories) which reportedly contains "thousands" of files. I'm using this: ls -R | wc -l However it's been an hour and looks like it's still running; there is no output... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies
GIT-CLEAN(1)							    Git Manual							      GIT-CLEAN(1)

NAME
git-clean - Remove untracked files from the working tree SYNOPSIS
git clean [-d] [-f] [-n] [-q] [-e <pattern>] [-x | -X] [--] <path>... DESCRIPTION
Cleans the working tree by recursively removing files that are not under version control, starting from the current directory. Normally, only files unknown to git are removed, but if the -x option is specified, ignored files are also removed. This can, for example, be useful to remove all build products. If any optional <path>... arguments are given, only those paths are affected. OPTIONS
-d Remove untracked directories in addition to untracked files. If an untracked directory is managed by a different git repository, it is not removed by default. Use -f option twice if you really want to remove such a directory. -f, --force If the git configuration variable clean.requireForce is not set to false, git clean will refuse to run unless given -f or -n. -n, --dry-run Don't actually remove anything, just show what would be done. -q, --quiet Be quiet, only report errors, but not the files that are successfully removed. -e <pattern>, --exclude=<pattern> In addition to those found in .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, also consider these patterns to be in the set of the ignore rules in effect. -x Don't use the standard ignore rules read from .gitignore (per directory) and $GIT_DIR/info/exclude, but do still use the ignore rules given with -e options. This allows removing all untracked files, including build products. This can be used (possibly in conjunction with git reset) to create a pristine working directory to test a clean build. -X Remove only files ignored by git. This may be useful to rebuild everything from scratch, but keep manually created files. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-CLEAN(1)