Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming i want to pass the connect fd to child process,how can i do ti? Post 24663 by Perderabo on Tuesday 16th of July 2002 11:01:53 AM
Old 07-16-2002
I don't see anything wrong with the code that you posted. But it's not like I have anyway to test it. I sure would not return a pointer to an integer...I would just return the integer. But what you did is legal provided that you call your own function correctly.

I suggest that write a small sample program that forks and then passes a fd. If you can't get that to work, you could post the whole program. Also Rich Steven's book "Advanced Unix Programming" has complete examples.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

child process problem

please do answer it is urgent can any body tell me how can i find whether the child process has been killed or not in a program (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramneek
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about child process

hello every one, i want to know more about creation of child process. UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES child process is created? WHAT ARE THE PREREQUISITES for a child process to be created? let us say we have a prog.c, prog.obj(compiled.c),.a\.out files. is any child PROCESS CREATED... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Child Process Name

Hi , I want to find out the child process name given its PID. I have used the ps command but it displays the parent process name against child PID. Is there any way to find out name of child program executing under any parent program? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sneha_heda
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass all received args to a (wrapped) child script

I'm writing a wrapper script (in bash) that wraps another (bash) script. When calling the wrapped script, I need to pass all the received arguments/options to it. Is there a built in variable that holds all the options? I wrote a little while loop (see below) which works. But I wanted to know if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dilbert
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

7. Programming

Pass parameter from a child make to a parent

Hello, I have the following problem: I have makefileproj and makefilemod in a build process for a complex project - from makefileproj I call the makefilemod. In makefilemod I generate a list containing objects eg,: "../../../25_Build/Results/Objects/FBL/Fls.o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marina_lmv
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to get child process for a process

!/bin/sh pid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}') sid=$(ps -Aj | grep MSTRSvr | grep -v grep | awk '{print $3}') ps -s "$sid" I am not able to get the desired output it says process list error if i use watch ps -s "$sid" it considers only the first session id (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schippada
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies
fork(2) 							System Calls Manual							   fork(2)

Name
       fork - create a new process

Syntax
       #include <sys/types.h>
       #include <unistd.h>

pid = fork()
       pid_t pid;

Description
       The  system  call causes creation of a new process.  The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the
       following:

o    The child process has a unique process ID.

o    The child process has a different parent process ID (that is, the process ID of the parent process).

o    The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors.  These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for
	    instance,  file  pointers  in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that a on a descriptor in the child process
	    can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent.  This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to	establish  standard  input
	    and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes.

o    The child processes resource utilizations are set to 0.  For further information, see

Return Values
       Upon  successful  completion,  returns  a  value  of  0	to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent
       process.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set	to
       indicate the error.

Diagnostics
       The system call fails and no child process are created under the following conditions:

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {PROC_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded.

[EAGAIN]       The system-imposed limit {CHILD_MAX} on the total number of processes under execution by a single user would be exceeded.

[ENOMEM]       There is insufficient swap space for the new process.

See Also
       execve(2), wait(2)

fork(2)