Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Logical Volume Manager question Post 24556 by Perderabo on Sunday 14th of July 2002 09:43:03 PM
Old 07-14-2002
I do not understand how simply making a recovery tape could cause such a disaster. Did you try to run that tape? If you simply were running make_recovery and this happened I think that it was coincidence and you actually have some other problem.

But in any event, after a disaster like this, vgscan is the way I would proceed. First I would "cp /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.save". Then I would run "vgscan -pv" and see if it looks reasonable. As long as you use -p nothing will actually change. If it looks good (or at least better than the current state), I would run "pvscan -v". It may tell you to run other programs next like vgchange. Follow the instructions the vgscan gives you. Good luck.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Logical Volume Question

Hi All, There is AIX server which has 2 internal disks running the OS and 8 external disks on a RAID array with RAID 5. My question - is there a way to check which are the logical volumes and file system configured on this RAID array (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramanuj
2 Replies

2. AIX

Logical Volume Manager Help

I have a pretty basic question but I am finding my self stumped... I am trying to find the config that shows which logical volume is mapped to which physical volume IE: I know that pdisk15 is mapped to hdisk17 (I only know this as it was told to me though, by IBM) When I run: lslv -p... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pheusion
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

4. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

5. Solaris

CLI to get info for Logical Volume manager

What are the comman line instructions need to be used to know if a Logical Volume Manager is installed on solaris Box, What is its name, version, driver version, library version. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas Volume Manager question (Disk layout with 4 plexes)

I am trying to build a veritas volume similar to an existing volume on another server. The output on source server is: usbtor12# vxprint -hrtg appdg v anvil_sqlVOL - ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600 SELECT - fsgen pl anvil_sqlVOL-01 anvil_sqlVOL ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin313
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
VGCFGBACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    VGCFGBACKUP(8)

NAME
vgcfgbackup - backup volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgbackup [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [VolumeGroupName...] DESCRIPTION
vgcfgbackup allows you to backup the metadata or Volume Group Descriptor Area (VGDA) of one to all volume groups to files in /etc/lvmconf. If you don't give any volume groups in the command line, all of them will be backed up. This DOESN'T backup user/system data in logical volume(s)! To restore volume group descriptor area backups see the vgcfgrestore(8) tool. A 10 step history is backed up in /etc/lvm- conf/VolumeGroupName.conf and /etc/lvmconf/VolumeGroupName.conf.[1-9].old. This enables you to restore your volume group configuration up to 10 steps back in the backup history. OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Gives verbose runtime information about vgcfgbackup's activities. DIAGNOSTICS
vgcfgbackup returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 error doing backup 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcfgrestore(8), vgcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGCFGBACKUP(8)