Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Logical Volume Manager question Post 24543 by spawarrior on Sunday 14th of July 2002 02:44:10 PM
Old 07-14-2002
Logical Volume Manager question

After creating a make recover tape on a TAC-4 9000/770, the system lost three of five volume groups from the /etc/lvmtab. What would be the best way to recreate the volume groups in the lvmtab?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Logical Volume Question

Hi All, There is AIX server which has 2 internal disks running the OS and 8 external disks on a RAID array with RAID 5. My question - is there a way to check which are the logical volumes and file system configured on this RAID array (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramanuj
2 Replies

2. AIX

Logical Volume Manager Help

I have a pretty basic question but I am finding my self stumped... I am trying to find the config that shows which logical volume is mapped to which physical volume IE: I know that pdisk15 is mapped to hdisk17 (I only know this as it was told to me though, by IBM) When I run: lslv -p... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pheusion
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

4. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

5. Solaris

CLI to get info for Logical Volume manager

What are the comman line instructions need to be used to know if a Logical Volume Manager is installed on solaris Box, What is its name, version, driver version, library version. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas Volume Manager question (Disk layout with 4 plexes)

I am trying to build a veritas volume similar to an existing volume on another server. The output on source server is: usbtor12# vxprint -hrtg appdg v anvil_sqlVOL - ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600 SELECT - fsgen pl anvil_sqlVOL-01 anvil_sqlVOL ENABLED ACTIVE 629145600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin313
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies
VGIMPORT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGIMPORT(8)

NAME
vgimport - make volume groups known to the system SYNOPSIS
vgimport [-d|--debug] [-f|--force] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName PhysicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgimport allows you to make a volume group known to the system which has previously been exported (see vgexport(8) ) on this or another system. OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --force Force import of volume group even though it is not flagged exported. This option allows the importing of volume groups from broken systems. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Display verbose runtime information about vgimport's activities. Examples "vgimport myvg /dev/sd[b-h]5" tries to make new volume group "myvg" known to the system. The previously exported volume group (see vgex- port(8) ) resides on disk partitions "/dev/sdb5" to "/dev/sdh5". DIAGNOSTICS
vgimport returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 no volume group name on command line 2 invalid volume group name 3 no physical volume(s) on command line 4 volume group already exists 5 physical volume occurs mutiple times on command line 6 invalid physical volume name 7 error reading physical volume 8 physical volume is not exported 9 error reallocating memory 10 error allocating memory 11 no valid physical volumes found 12 physical volume belongs to a different exported volume group 13 wrong number of physical volumes 14 error reading VGDA from disk(s) 15 VGDA is inconsistent 16 invalid logical volume count 17 error getting a free volume group number 18 error writing VGDA to physical volumes 19 error creating VGDA in kernel 20 error inserting volume group into lvmtab 21 error doing backup of VGDA to disk 22 error storing VGDA in lvmtab 23 not enough free logical volume manager block specials available 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line Example "vgimport this_import /dev/sdk3 /dev/sdj4" tries to import a volume group contained on both partitions. The volume group this_import may not already exit. You have to specify all physical volumes belonging to the exported volume group. See also lvm(8), lvcreate(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGIMPORT(8)