Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers my case statement doesn't work.. Post 24321 by Perderabo on Wednesday 10th of July 2002 08:21:35 AM
Old 07-10-2002
majeed73 was kinda on the right track. When your login shell runs your shell script, it creates a child process. Inside that child process you are changing ORACLE_SID. Since it is exported, if that child process was to create any children of its own, those children would see the new ORACLE_SID. But a child cannot affect its parent. When the child process exits, the parent continues with the old value for ORACLE_SID. There is nothing that the child can do to change this. Ditto with your aliases by the way.

Since this stuff was in your .profile, your login shell must also be /bin/sh. The parent could invoke the script as a dotted script. Instead of:
"./script" or "script"
do this:
". ./script" or ". script"

That will cause the script to run in the current shell rather than a subshell. And you should be able to alias that:
alias script=". $HOME/realscript"
or whatever. So now the command "script" would do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

why doesn't this work?????

i keep getting the following error with the code segment below when i try to compile the program. parse error before '(' parse error before ')' stray '\' in program this is the code segment and the error is on the second line of the segment #define DEBUG(fmt) if(traceflag) {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: token
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[help]Win98 doesn't respond

My system is combined by Win98 and sco opensever.......but when Win98 is starting .my computer doesn't respond........what can i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dingxf
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repquota doesn't work as Cronjob?!?

Hello: I'm trying to run repquota -ag > /home/usersdir/repquota.txt as a daily cronjob at midnight, but the file always ends up blank. I even tried writing a quick Perl script to e-mail me what running that command outputs, and it's nothing. Can root run repquota as a cronjob? Do I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b416
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep doesn't work within shell script?

I am trying to run the following code from a script file but it complains that syntax of (both instances of) grep is wrong. When I copy and paste it to the terminal, it is OK. Any idea what the problem might be? set i = `grep -c #define flags.h` while ($i>20) @ i-- my func (`cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barisgultekin
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unmount doesn't work

Hi guys, I've been trying to unmount a floppy like this: unmount /mnt/floppy But then I get a "command not found" message."mount" works,but why not unmount? I've also tried "eject" but all it does is open up my cdrom drive and I tried "eject /mnt/floppy" but I get an error that says Invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISTURBED
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

my "case" doesn't work !

I'm using the case statement in the following script and it always takes the "*" default choice while it should be "3". I wonder why ??? dt_auj=`date +%d` NBLOG=`ls -al /users/notes01/LOG/t*|awk '{print $7}'|grep $dt_auj|wc -l` case $NBLOG in 1) cat ~/LOG/console-notes > $fic_tmp1 ;; 2)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

set completion-ignore-case on doesn't work in bash

completion-ignore-case option doesn't work in my version: /home/user $ echo $BASH_VERSION 3.2.48(1)-release /home/user $ ls -l * -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 0 2009-10-18 00:09 somefile -rw-r--r-- 1 user user 0 2009-10-18 00:09 Somefile /home/user $ set completion-ignore-case on But when I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My if statement doesn't work why?

I have the following and for some reason I can't have two options together. I mean if I choose -u and -p it won't work... why? #!/bin/bash resetTime=1 mytotalTime=0 totalHour=0 totalMin=0 averagemem=0 finalaverage=0 times=0 function usage() { cat << EOF USAGE: $0 file EOF } (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashily
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How come this if statement doesn't work?

greetings, the following code isn't working as i expect it to. the first dbl brackets do but the second set gets ignored. ie: if i'm on t70c6n229 it echoes "Something" and i expect it not to. what am i missing? if " ]] || " ]]; then echo "Something" fi thanx! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
9 Replies
EXECUTE(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared statement SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE name [ ( parameter [, ...] ) ] DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared statement. Since prepared statements only exist for the duration of a session, the pre- pared statement must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the statement specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared statements are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters; the name of a prepared statement must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared statements, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. PARAMETERS
name The name of the prepared statement to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared statement. This must be an expression yielding a value that is compatible with the data type of this parameter, as was determined when the prepared statement was created. OUTPUTS
The command tag returned by EXECUTE is that of the prepared statement, and not EXECUTE. EXAMPLES
Examples are given in the Examples [prepare(7)] section of the PREPARE [prepare(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the EXECUTE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], PREPARE [prepare(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 EXECUTE(7)