Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD or OpenBSD???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FreeBSD or OpenBSD??? Post 24303 by networkz on Tuesday 9th of July 2002 08:59:43 PM
Old 07-09-2002
Thank you both auswipe and dercarcort for your feedback.

Although I will eventually be focusing on security issues down the road (one of my long term career paths), my general intentions at the present are to set up a server/desktop running nix and then install apache. I am leaning much more towards FreeBSD currently. One of the reasons for this decision, as both of you have pointed out, is the abundant amount of info available at www.freebsd.org. <rolling up me sleeves and getting ready for the work> Smilie

networkz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. BSD

Snort on openbsd

Im trying to gather some info to set up snort on openbsd 3.2, has anyone out there managed to get it up and running ? My initial attempts seem to be quite below par (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcontent
4 Replies

3. BSD

setting up OpenBSD 4.0

ok these questions may be a little silly but I just started using OpenBSD as I came from Linux... 1. How do I make my desktop in X all snazzy like, I have wallpapers that need to be used. while I admit it will mainly be used for things I wont need a wallpaper for, you just never know :p, im... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siphter
4 Replies

4. BSD

RAIDing openbsd 4.2

Hello! Can anyone tell me how to make software RAID1 on openbsd 4.2. I try by some manuals but have no results.Maybe is somewhere good manual directly to openbsd 4.2 version? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kasparens
1 Replies

5. BSD

Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

6. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

7. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

8. BSD

PF troubles on OpenBSD 5.0

I am setting up a system as an ADSL gateway. ADSL is working fine. PF is not forwarding for some reason. # ifconfig lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 33196 priority: 0 groups: lo inet6... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
0 Replies

9. BSD

NFSD under OpenBSD

Hi all, I am having a following problem. Trying to run PXE boot server on my OpenBSD machine I have ended up on making NFSd daemon works. On all machines I get an error msg. nfsd : nfsd count is invalid: (null) no matter what computer I run it on. Everything works just well on FreeBSD and linux.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smoofy
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

BSD Unix Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD

Usually when I on the evening go to bed I take some interesting book with me. I read it for a while to get me down to sleep. Probably most people seek information from the Nett by googleing but I am so oldfashioned I prefer a real book ;) But what a book. The one I found and ordered is BSD Unix®... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fossiili
0 Replies
UARK(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UARK(4)

NAME
uark -- Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based USB serial adapter SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device uark device ucom Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): uark_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The uark driver supports Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based serial adapters. HARDWARE
The uark driver supports the following adapters: o HL USB-RS232 o HugePine USB-UART o KQ-U8A Data Cable o Skymaster USB to RS232 SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The uark device driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.0. The first FreeBSD release to include it was FreeBSD 7.0. AUTHORS
The uark driver was written by Jonathan Gray <jsg@openbsd.org>. CAVEATS
Setting hardware flow control is not currently supported. It is not yet known how to ask the hardware to send a break. Arkmicro Technologies do not reply to requests of documentation for their products. BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD