Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copy syntax
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copy syntax Post 24281 by _hp_ on Tuesday 9th of July 2002 12:34:52 PM
Old 07-09-2002
cp --help

that should explain it

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy syntax part2

hi again and thx for helping My problem now is that i dont know how to copy files beginning by "." (for instance : .profile) what syntax should i try? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the syntax

export check=$(expandname $(dirname $(which $0))) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandhar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the syntax

can anyone explain the code for me... i am new to shell programming while getopts ":S:D:U:" OPTION "$@" do case $OPTION in S) SRVR=$OPTARG;; D) DB="$OPTARG"; USEDB="use $OPTARG";; U) UID=$OPTARG;; :) MISSINGOPTARG="$MISSINGOPTARG -$OPTARG";; ?) if then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandhar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding syntax

Hi All, What does this mean ${#var} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is in-core copy and disk-copy of i-node table?

I have found a question from the exercises of my study mat. The question is "Why are there a in-core copy and a disk-copy of i-node block and super block?" If any one know the proper answer then please send me..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for ... do - syntax

hi! pls help me :) cd folder for f in *; do ... done this circle takes all files from folder1 i need only .pdf files but it may be like a.pdf or a.PDF what syntax must i use? smth like it: cd folder for f in *.(pdf|PDF); do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy numerous private Samba-shares as one user. (Syntax question)

Hello Forum, I was overwhelmed by how fast and correct the responses to my first question in this forum was, and I hope I expreience this again today. The reason is that I have to copy a fileserver (Ubuntu 8.04 32 with Samba) to another server via Internet within tomorrow. I have no problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies
cp(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cp(1)

Name
       cp - copy file data

Syntax
       cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] file1 file2

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] file... directory

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] directory... directory

Description
       The command copies file1 onto file2.  The mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; the mode of file1 is used otherwise.
       Note that the command will not copy a file onto itself.

In the second form, one or more files are copied into the directory with their original file names.

In the third form, one or more source directories are copied into the destination directory with their original file names.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before copying, without prompting for confirmation.  The -i option is  ignored	if
	    the -f option is specified.

-i   Prompts  user  with  the name of file whenever the copy will cause an old file to be overwritten. A yes answer will cause to continue.
	    Any other answer will prevent it from overwriting the file.

-p   Preserves (duplicates) in the copies the modification time, access time, file mode, user ID, and group ID as allowed  by  the  permis-
	    sions of the source files, ignoring the present umask.

-r   Copies  directories.  Entire directory trees, including their subtrees and the individual files they contain, are copied to the speci-
	    fied destination directory. The directory, its subtrees, and the individual files retain their original names. For	example,  to  copy
	    the directory including all of its subtrees and files, into the directory enter the following command:
	    cp -r reports news

See Also
       cat(1), pr(1), mv(1)

cp(1)