Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP automated?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTP automated? Post 2401 by n9ninchd on Thursday 10th of May 2001 06:20:14 PM
Old 05-10-2001
Slight Variation

I keep getting these requests, driven me nuts.
Now I need to be able to put a variable. Variables do not get handed off well to the FTP process commands.
Any ideas?

Example: I wanna put this command in place

put $1.backup.file

FTP is not pulling the filename correctly - I get cannot find file $1.backup.file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automated FTP

My requiremnet is to write a FTP script which will ftp a file to a specified ftp url. How can I automate the process usnig the unix cron. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shauche
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one time automated ftp session

How can an automated script be setup to run at a later time in the day. cron runs recurring tasks. I am interested in a one time process. I want to back up a number of files whenever I make changes to an application and ftp for backup purposes. The script to automate the zipping of files has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msmkeml
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Automated ftp for Multiple files

I have seen the script posted yesterday for automated ftp Can we do some thing like ftp ing multiple files in one script Example input.txt has all files names to be ftped input.txt ------ a.tar b.ccp c.perl i need to ftp all the files present in input.txt i tried something like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

automated ftp.

Hi I am trying to delete some specific files ( files other than created today) from the server on a cron basis. I wrote a small script, but I am stuck up in how to delete only specific files. #!/usr/bin/expect -f set IP set timeout -1 spawn ftp $IP expect ): send "username\n"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangfroid
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to devlop automated FTP in UNIX

Automated FTP. hint : use 'atd' to schedule to run a specific script. An Env Variable should be created,say CONF_DIR which points to some dir. @ some time, create a TAR file of this and FTP it to some server. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone2002
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP

I want to do Automated FTP from linux client to LINUX server using a shell script after every one hour. And copies last most updated file from Linux server. OR You can say that whenever files get modified on LINUX server so it also copies on my LINUX client. Linux SERVER path=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

Automated FTP task

Every day i ftp tar.gz a file from the production server to a back up machine.. This task creates way to much traffic on the network at the end of the day and puts and undo load on the production machine during operation hours. i would like to create a script that would automatically fire off the... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
36 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP script using .netrc to multiple FTP servers

Hi all, I'm using the following script to automated ftp files to 1 ftp servers host=192.168.0.1 /usr/bin/ftp -vi >> $bkplog 2>&1 <<ftp open $host bin cd ${directory} put $files quit ftp and the .netrc file contain machine 192.168.0.1 login abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated FTP

Hello,I just know the basics of scripting & I need a script to automate ftp since I use it quite often. I use ftp to transfer different kind of files and everytime the source & the destination directories are different for transferring files, so can anyone help me out on this urgently.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_02mar
2 Replies
ct_ftp(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition						      ct_ftp(3erl)

NAME
ct_ftp - FTP client module (based on the FTP support of the INETS application). DESCRIPTION
FTP client module (based on the FTP support of the INETS application). DATA TYPES
connection() = handle() | target_name() (see module ct) : handle() = handle() (see module ct_gen_conn) : Handle for a specific ftp connection. EXPORTS
cd(Connection, Dir) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() Dir = string() Change directory on remote host. close(Connection) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() Close the FTP connection. delete(Connection, File) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() File = string() Delete a file on remote host get(KeyOrName, RemoteFile, LocalFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types KeyOrName = Key | Name Key = atom() Name = target_name() (see module ct) RemoteFile = string() LocalFile = string() Open a ftp connection and fetch a file from the remote host. RemoteFile and LocalFile must be absolute paths. The config file must be as for put/3. See also: put/3 . ls(Connection, Dir) -> {ok, Listing} | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() Dir = string() Listing = string() List the directory Dir. open(KeyOrName) -> {ok, Handle} | {error, Reason} Types KeyOrName = Key | Name Key = atom() Name = target_name() (see module ct) Handle = handle() Open an FTP connection to the specified node. You can open one connection for a particular Name and use the same name as reference for all subsequent operations. If you want the connection to be associated with Handle instead (in case you need to open multiple connections to a host for example), simply use Key , the configuration variable name, to specify the target. Note that a connection that has no associated target name can only be closed with the handle value. put(KeyOrName, LocalFile, RemoteFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types KeyOrName = Key | Name Key = atom() Name = target_name() (see module ct) LocalFile = string() RemoteFile = string() Open a ftp connection and send a file to the remote host. LocalFile and RemoteFile must be absolute paths. If the target host is a "special" node, the ftp address must be specified in the config file like this: {node,[{ftp,IpAddr}]}. If the target host is something else, e.g. a unix host, the config file must also include the username and password (both strings): {unix,[{ftp,IpAddr}, {username,Username}, {password,Password}]}. recv(Connection, RemoteFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Fetch a file over FTP. The file will get the same name on the local host. See also: recv/3 . recv(Connection, RemoteFile, LocalFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() RemoteFile = string() LocalFile = string() Fetch a file over FTP. The file will be named LocalFile on the local host. send(Connection, LocalFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Send a file over FTP. The file will get the same name on the remote host. See also: send/3 . send(Connection, LocalFile, RemoteFile) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() LocalFile = string() RemoteFile = string() Send a file over FTP. The file will be named RemoteFile on the remote host. type(Connection, Type) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Connection = connection() Type = ascii | binary Change file transfer type AUTHORS
<> common_test 1.5.3 ct_ftp(3erl)