Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hostname in linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers hostname in linux Post 24005 by flounder on Wednesday 3rd of July 2002 03:31:20 PM
Old 07-03-2002
Not sure what version you are using but an alternative would be and typing it from the prompt:

linuxconf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

looking up hostname

Using Solaris 8 (or WINXP). I am trying to look up a specific DNS hostname, but I don't know which DNS server houses that entry. How can I find the hostname? nslookup gives me the following: C:\>nslookup hostname Server: dnsserver Address: x.x.x.x *** dnsserver can't find hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname - System Name

Hello Can anyone tell me the difference between a hostname and system name in UNIX?. Rgds D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
3 Replies

5. Linux

Change Linux Hostname

Hi Good Day! I have a fedora 8 installed and I wan't to change its hostname since the default hostname is "localhost.localdomain". I wanna change it to something different. Please some one advice what to do. Do I have to change the entry in "/etc/hosts" or there's other way to do it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

SEt two hostname in a linux server

Friends , Can I set two hostname in a Linux server at a time ? I want to give two hostname of my Linux server , is it possible to do ? Plz inform .. .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

7. SCO

Possible hostname issue?

from the hostname command I get this: scosysv.mycompany0 when I ping scosysv.mycompany0 i get 64.158.xx.xx which fails with 100% packet loss. /etc/hosts shows 199.199.199.1 scosysv scosysv.mycompany0 scosysv.mycompany0.com when I ping the hostname value isn't the local IP 199.199.199.1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbxguy
6 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Get ip of client, not hostname

Hello i'm trying to get the ip of a telnet session. With who -u I get the hostname of the user connecting to my server, because it checks the reverse DNS. But I only want the ip. Versions: HP-UX HP Release B.11.31 Who command: Hewlett-Packard Company - 4 - HP-UX 11i Version... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boltpower
2 Replies
SETSID(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SETSID(1)

NAME
setsid - run a program in a new session SYNOPSIS
setsid [options] program [arguments] DESCRIPTION
setsid runs a program in a new session. The command calls fork(2) if already a process group leader. Otherwise, it executes a program in the current process. OPTIONS
-c, --ctty Set the controlling terminal to the current one. -w, --wait Wait for the execution of the program to end, and return the exit value of this program as the return value of setsid. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. SEE ALSO
setsid(2) AUTHOR
Rick Sladkey <jrs@world.std.com> AVAILABILITY
The setsid command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 SETSID(1)