Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I send a file as an attachment (gzip file) on a Unix system Post 23989 by lacca on Wednesday 3rd of July 2002 12:13:36 PM
Old 07-03-2002
I'm trying to send a mail from unix with a attach gzip file with the follow parameters:

Content-Type: application/x-gzip; name="xpto.txt.gz"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: x-gzip
Content-Disposition: inline;filename="xpto.txt.gz"
MIME-Version: 1.0

When I receive the mail in outlook and I try to decompress the file with winzip, give an error telling the file is corrupt.

What is wrong with these parameters ?

Best regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send a *.pdf file as a attachment

Hi there, i am very new in the unix sector. (i work on HP UX, an Sun Solaris) i can write some simple scripts,..... but now i will wirte a script with "mail". i would like to send a pdf file to a mail recipient. But if i try it with "mail -s "email@adress" < "filename(with path)" it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP!!! how to send PDF file as an attachment using mailx

Hi, iam using the following command: uuencode file1.pdf file1.pdf|mailx - s "waz up?" xyz@domain.com Iam recieving an encoding error when i try to open the attachment. Pls help..very urgent!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brat
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to send file as attachment with mail ?

hello , i m new to linux/unix , well in my college their is linux server to which we all (i and my frnds) login , we can send mail to each other through command "mail" . but any one can tell me how can i attached a binary file with mail. we are using red hat , "pine ", "mailx" , all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert_every1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Delimited file and send mail with attachment

Hi All, My requirement is: 1. To read a file that contains log file location and server name. The format of the file is something like this : server_name1:logfilename1 server_name2:logfilename2 2. Now I wants to grep "error" string from the logfilename and put it into another file for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheiver
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to send file as attachment using mail or mailx

I have a need to send a file from the unix command line to be sent as an attachment. Is this possible? That is when I open my outlook email I need to file to appear as an attachment. Also, is there a way to use the mail binary (not mailx) to modify the "reply address". mailx -r works but I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a file through email using cron as an attachment

Hi All, I want to send a file as an attachment through cron job.Is this possible using cronjob nd if it i, can you please let me know how to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to send .csv file as an attachment using mailx command.

want to send .csv file as an attachment using mailx command. Please help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gagandeep
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx command to send attachment file

Hi, I need to send a attachment which has space in the file name as: "ABC Data Extract.txt" which is present in the location /home/projects/txt i am using /home/projects/scripts mailx -s "Sub" email_id "/home/projects/txt/ABC Data Extract.txt" but i am not getting the attachment. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email attachment using Operating System Script(UNIX) in Oracle Alerts

Good Day Kindly assist: I am creating an Alert that will notify supervisors of staff members who are due for probation report. I am using Operating System Script(Unix) as source.I have already developed the script. Now the challenge is if there are 3 employee records then the alert... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosi27
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

MIME type for sending gzip file as attachment in email

Hello, I am trying to send a gzip file on email using below command but the zipped file received on email is corrupt. mailsend -smtp $smtpip -content-type 'application/x-gzip' -mime-type "application/x-gzip" -t $receiver -f $sender -sub "$subject" -M "$MSG" -attach $file file name is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar.modgil
1 Replies
DACSEMAIL(1)						       DACS Commands Manual						      DACSEMAIL(1)

NAME
dacsemail - Simple outgoing email agent SYNOPSIS
dacsemail [-bcc addr] [{-bf | --bodyfile} path] [{-bs | --bodystring} string] [-cc addr] [-ct value] [{-f | --from} from] [-h | --help] [-header name value] [{-mailer | -mta} path] [{-mailer-flags | -mta-flags} string] [-p | --prompt] [-save path] [{-s | --subject} subject] [-sender sender] [{-t | --to} addr] [-transform] [-v | --verbose] [-var name value] DESCRIPTION
This program is part of the DACS suite. The dacsemail utility is a simple agent for sending email messages. It is a stand-alone program that neither accepts the usual DACS command line options (dacsoptions[1]) nor accesses any DACS configuration files. dacsemail constructs an RFC 822[2] format message but does not transmit it. It requires an external mailer, such as sendmail(8)[3], to transfer the message. The mailer command and its arguments can be specified on the dacsemail command line (see -mailer) or at build time (see dacs.install(7)[4]). OPTIONS
If the source for the message body is not specified on the command line, it will be read from the standard input. At least one recipient must be specified using -t, -cc, or -bcc. -bcc addr Send the message to the undisclosed recipient address addr. It is the responsibility of the mailer to delete these recipient addresses before transmitting the message. This flag may be repeated. -bf path --bodyfile path Read the message body from path. If path is -, the standard input is read. -bs string --bodystring string Use string as the message body. -cc addr Send the message to recipient addr as a carbon copy. This flag may be repeated. -ct value Add a Content-type header of MIME type value to the message. If value is multipart/alternative, an appropriate boundary variable will be created, unless one has already been specified on the command line with the -var flag. It is assumed that the message body has already been correctly formatted for this MIME type, or will be after it has been transformed (see -transform). -f from --from from Use from as the value of the message's From header. -h --help Print usage information and then exit. -header name value Add a message header named name with value value. This flag should only be used for headers that do not have specific flags (-t, -ct, -f, and so on). -mailer path -mta path Use the message transfer agent command path (a full pathname) instead of the configured program. This program must read the message from its standard input and extract the list of recipients from the message's To, Cc, and Bcc headers. (If such a mailer is unavailable, it will be necessary to write a small program to wrap a mailer and provide the required interface to dacsemail.) The default is to run sendmail(8)[3] with its -t flag. -mailer-flags string -mta-flags string Regardless of the mailer, use string for its command line flags. -p --prompt Just before the message is to be sent, display it (to stderr) and wait for the user to respond to a prompt. At the prompt, the user may abort the message or allow it to be sent. -save path Just before sending (or prompting), write a copy of the outgoing message to path, replacing any previous contents of the file. -s subject --subject subject Set the message's Subject header to subject. -sender sender Set the message's Sender header to sender. -t addr --to addr Add addr as a "To" recipient. This flag may be repeated. -transform The message body, regardless of how it is specified, is filtered through the DACS transformation function. Please refer to dacs_transform(8)[5] for details. No access control rules may be associated with any transformation; i.e., they are all unconditional. A similar effect can be obtained by piping the output of dacstransform(1)[6] into dacsemail. -v --verbose Enable verbose output for debugging. -var name value Create a variable[7] named name set to value for the transform function. The variable's value can be referenced within the message body in the DACS namespace as ${DACS::name}. The variable must not already be defined. EXAMPLES
Suppose the myfile contains the following text: <!--DACS expand="*" --> This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --${DACS::boundary} Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, ${DACS::user}! --${DACS::boundary} Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <p> <font color="red">Hello, ${DACS::user}!</font> </p> --${DACS::boundary}-- <!--DACS end="*" --> The following command might be used to send a message with a multipart/alternative structured body: % dacsemail -ct multipart/alternative -f auggie@example.com -t harley@example.com -s "Hello" -transform -var user Auggie -bf myfile The resulting message will look something like the following: To: harley@example.com From: auggie@example.com Subject: Hello Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_----------=_03885942562898683484" Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:48:41 -0700 (PDT) Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit X-mailer: DACS 1.4.24a This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --_----------=_03885942562898683484 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Auggie! --_----------=_03885942562898683484 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <p> <font color="red">Hello, Auggie!</font> </p> --_----------=_03885942562898683484-- FILES
None. DIAGNOSTICS
The program exits 0 if everything was fine, 1 if an error occurred. Error messages are printed to stderr. Errors and routine messages from the mailer are recorded wherever they usually logged, outside of DACS BUGS
This program's primary purpose is for testing DACS functionality that is needed for internal purposes. No significant improvements are envisioned. You could throw a rock and hit a better email agent. SEE ALSO
dacs.exprs(5)[8], dacs.install(7)[4], dacs_transform(8)[5], sendmail(8)[3] AUTHOR
Distributed Systems Software (www.dss.ca[9]) COPYING
Copyright2003-2012 Distributed Systems Software. See the LICENSE[10] file that accompanies the distribution for licensing information. NOTES
1. dacsoptions http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.1.html#dacsoptions 2. RFC 822 http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc822.txt 3. sendmail(8) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sendmail&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+9.0-RELEASE&format=html 4. dacs.install(7) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.install.7.html#configure_options 5. dacs_transform(8) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs_transform.8.html 6. dacstransform(1) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacstransform.1.html 7. a variable http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.exprs.5.html#variable_syntax 8. dacs.exprs(5) http://dacs.dss.ca/man/dacs.exprs.5.html#transform 9. www.dss.ca http://www.dss.ca 10. LICENSE http://dacs.dss.ca/man/../misc/LICENSE DACS 1.4.27b 10/22/2012 DACSEMAIL(1)