Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delete files that are over 2 hours old Post 23806 by Perderabo on Sunday 30th of June 2002 09:02:38 PM
Old 06-30-2002
Use the "date" command to get the current date and time. Then subtract 2 from the hours. This may require adjusting the date if you are close to midnight. Once you have the date and time of 2 hours ago, use the "touch" command to create a temp file with that mtime. Next, use the "find" command is get a list of files older than the temp file and delete them. Finally, remove that temp file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files older than 2 hours

I want to write a sh script that will find files older than 2 hours and tar them. I've had a look at the find man page but can't see how to do it by hours. Help please. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

move log files over 12 hours old...

Hi, I know I can use touch and find's "! -newer" option to list files that are older than a specific time, but what is a good way to get a list of files that are over 12 hours old? The log pruner will run throughout the day, twice an hour. So I can't easily use a cronjob touch command to generate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thomas Pluck
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing files after 6 hours or older

What is the command to remove files that are generated 6 hours or older? The find and remove tells only how to remove if the file is one day old or more. Appreciate quick reply. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthokala
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files created in last 24 hours

I need a script which list the files which is starting with the word heap*** and that is created before past 24 hours.I need the script using find command. please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete logs every 3 hours

Hi, I want to setup a cronjob that will delete logs every 2 hours. I have script that delete logs per day. but logging is too big and i want to run a conjob that will delete every 2 hours. this is my current command but it deletes on a per day basis. find . -name "*.log*" -o -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files by hours old?

I need to be able to do the following: Find files in multiple directories that are 6 hours older than the current time? I am using KSH I tried mmtime but it was not a valid option Any help would be great. Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list files between last 6 hours to 3 hours

Hi Frens, I want to list some files from a directory, which contains "DONE" in their name, i am receiving files every minute. In this i want to list all the files which are newer than 6 hours but older than 3 hours, of current time i dont want my list to contain the latest files which are ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

files older than few hours

Hi All I need to know the command which can be used to list the files which are 3 hours old so that it can be deleted. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskalyani9
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls files newer than 6 hours

How do I list al files in a folder with a creation date/time newer than 6 hours? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Files Older than 1 hours.

How to Deleting Files Older than 1 hours. Base on SunOS. this file gen every 1 min. -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody nobody 4960 Jan 27 02:02 23_201301270201.log -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody amudu 2325 Jan 27 02:03 33_201301270202.log -rw-r--r-- 1 nobody amudu 3255 Jan 27 02:03... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
2 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)