Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: restricting access...
Special Forums Cybersecurity restricting access... Post 2377 by PxT on Wednesday 9th of May 2001 03:10:15 PM
Old 05-09-2001
When dealing with ftp, there are no login scripts involved. the ftp daemon itself calls the chroot command. You need to set up the home directories carefully. Full instructions are in the man page for ftpd:
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/man/ftpd.html

And more details on the 'guestgroup' configuration are in:
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/man/ftpaccess.html

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access

I need to create a user that only has access to 1 directory (e.g. /vol/mita/test). The user needs to be able to rsh into that directory to run a script. The user should not be able to navigate to any other directories above /vol/mita/test. Any help would be appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngagne
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access to a machine by IP Address

I have a need to allow only certain IP addresses to access a machine running solaris 9. I am not sure how this can be accomplished. Thanks in advance for your help. Patch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patch
2 Replies

3. Solaris

restricting access

Hi All, I'm on Solaris 8, I need to provide Read-only access to a user to 2 directories only. Using rsh (restricted shell) as the user's login shell, I can restrict the user's access to a certain directory only, but how can I set in such a way that the user can access only the 2 directories... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_min
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restricting root access

I'm the admin in a shop in which my developers have and use the root account, all UNIX newbies. I've been unable to convince management myself that this is an unacceptable practice. I've looked in a couple books I have and can't find any chapters, discussions, etc that make the argument that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
2 Replies

5. Solaris

restricting access to a server

We want to secure access to a server by restricting the number of users who can login to it. Our users are NIS users. Only few of them can telnet/ssh this server. Do you have any idea on how to implement that? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restricting access to code

Hi All, I am facing a problem, regarding code security on a server. We have configured a server which contains our code (ear present in jboss/server/xyz/deploy) in it, and need to bind the code to the server itself so that no one can take the code out of the. the problem is that the password of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay61286
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Restricting FTP access for a particular directory

Dear All, I have created a user called "x" who is allowed only to FTP and it is working fine. Here my problem is, I want to give access to a particular directory say for eg:- /dump/test directory. I don't find any option in the useradd command to restrict access to this particular directory only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Restricting CPU Core Access

Hi all. I've had a quick look around but cant see anything exactly matching my requirements. I have a new T2000 running S10. Im looking to restrict the no. cores that a S10 non-global zone can use to 1 only. The box is single CPU but 8core. I want to do this to save on some software... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boneyard
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting SFTP access

Hello, I am using MySecureShell to chroot all sftp accesses. The problem that I have is that my boss does not want root to be able to use sftp. Root should still be able to ssh. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Restricting commands & access

Dear all, I am administering a DC environment of over 100+ Solaris servers used by various teams including Databases. Every user created on the node belonging to databases is assigned group staff(10) . I want that all users belonging to staff should NOT be able to execute certain system... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies
ftp::geturl(n)							    ftp client							    ftp::geturl(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ftp::geturl - Uri handler for ftp urls SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require ftp::geturl ?0.2.1? ::ftp::geturl url _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a command which wraps around the client side of the ftp protocol provided by package ftp to allow the retrieval of urls using the ftp schema. API
::ftp::geturl url This command can be used by the generic command ::uri::geturl (See package uri) to retrieve the contents of ftp urls. Internally it uses the commands of the package ftp to fulfill the request. The contents of a ftp url are defined as follows: file The contents of the specified file itself. directory A listing of the contents of the directory in key value notation where the file name is the key and its attributes the asso- ciated value. link The attributes of the link, including the path it refers to. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category ftp of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
ftpd, mime, pop3, smtp KEYWORDS
ftp, internet, net, rfc 959 CATEGORY
Networking ftp 0.2.1 ftp::geturl(n)