Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Internet sharing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Internet sharing Post 23733 by raju on Friday 28th of June 2002 12:54:50 AM
Old 06-28-2002
Tools

hey ,
try installing a proxy on ur win machine , and just add solaris client to tht proxy as user!!! . and u get sharing man.
i did it with my dell and unix box.
raju
raju

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Internet Sharing

I'm new to the unix world, but have been asked if our company could set up a high speed internet connection to our unix server in order to connect all our users without haveing to pay for all these telephone lines. I assume it is easy but unsafe. Any help from the basics to the advanced will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help to set up internet sharing in linux.

Ok, I'm kind of in between newbie and experienced somewhere. I'm an advanced computer user but only have a little experience with linux and a lot of problems with it. Currently I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 (I know, I know, but let's not go into the many reasons why it's not even close to the best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nazo
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Internet Sharing with SUSE 7.3

I have a home network connected to a cable modem. I would like to use my SUSE 7.3 as a proxy. My layout is this. all computers connected to a hub. SUSE has 2 nics. 1 for cable modem(eth0, one for internal network connected to hub(eth1) All other machines connect to hub eth0 - DHCP from ISP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdboling
1 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris and cable int. and internet sharing

hi ý have cable internet an ý dont connect internet.i can't get an ip form the dhcp of the isp and how can ý do internet sharing.ý new installed solaris.pls help me thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demanyak
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

win2k to Mandrake,Internet Connection Sharing!

i've got a win2k machine(192.168.0.2) that i want to give access to mandrake through my network (192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0). I enabled ICS and setup the mandrake machine to be (192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0) and i'm still not able to get Internet Access to my Mandrake. I guess I have to do Dynamic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlb00h
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a Unix Drive Over The Internet ... but

I don't know if this can be done, otherwise, my project will come to a screeching halt. I have a SCO 5.0.5 machine connected to the internet with a static IP address. I need to be able to share a drive : /shareddrive I need to map to it from a windows machine: hence, what i'd like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Sharing internet from host os to guest os

I have a host os Windows 7 ultimate in place where virtual box is installed. Now in virtual box I have installed solaris 10. There is internet connection present in host windows 7 still I am not able to access internet in solaris 10. Please help to configure solaris so that internet can be... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
12 Replies

8. IP Networking

Sharing internet connection

Hello all, Recently took a dive into Unix using Fedora 12 atm. I have cable modem with DHCP and a linksys 8 port router. With windows I was able to simple use the uplink port and plug each computer into the switch and use the internet connection. Having no luck doing the same in Unix. I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Sharing internet from Ubuntu to Solaris server

I have a laptop running on ubuntu 13 connected to wifi. My sunfire v100 is connected to my laptop with an ethernet cable of course. I tried messing around with it seeing if I could do it myself but I couldn't. I want my solaris box to use the internet off my laptop. How would I do this? I'm just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Sharing internet from Ubuntu to Solaris server

Hey guys can anyone explain to me how to share my laptops (on ubuntu with wifi) to my sunfire v100 thats connected via ethernet? Whats the process for that? I'd appreciate it! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
1 Replies
PROXYMNGR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      PROXYMNGR(1)

NAME
proxymngr - proxy manager service SYNOPSIS
proxymngr [-config filename] [-timeout seconds] [-retries #] [-verbose] DESCRIPTION
The proxy manager (proxymngr) is responsible for resolving requests from xfindproxy (and other similar clients), starting new proxies when appropriate, and keeping track of all of the available proxy services. The proxy manager strives to reuse existing proxies whenever possi- ble. There are two types of proxies that the proxy manager deals with, managed and unmanaged proxies. A managed proxy is a proxy that is started ``on demand'' by the proxy manager. An unmanaged proxy, on the other hand, is started either at system boot time, or manually by a system administrator. The proxy manager is made aware of its existence, but no attempt is made by the proxy manager to start unmanaged proxies. The command line options that can be specified to proxymngr are: -config Used to override the default proxymngr config file. See below for more details about the config file. -timeout Sets the number of seconds between attempts made by the proxy manager to find an unmanaged proxy. The default is 10. -retries Sets the maximum number of retries made by the proxy manager to find an an unmanaged proxy. The default is 3. -verbose Causes various debugging and tracing records to be displayed as requests are received and proxies are started. Proxy Manager Config File The proxy manager maintains a local configuration file describing the proxy services available. This configuration file is installed in /usr/lib/X11/proxymngr/pmconfig during the installation of proxymngr. The location of the configuration file can be overwritten using the -config command line option. Aside from lines starting with an exclamation point for comments, each line of the configuration file describes either an unmanaged or man- aged proxy service. For unmanaged proxies, the format is: <service-name> unmanaged <proxy-address> service-name is the name of the unmanaged proxy service, and must not contain any spaces, for example ``XFWP''. service-name is case insensitive. proxy-address is the network address of the unmanaged proxy. The format of the address is specific to the service-name. For example, for the ``XFWP'' service, the proxy-address might be ``firewall.x.org:100''. If there is more than one entry in the config file with the same unmanaged service-name, the proxy manager will try to use the proxies in the order presented in the config file. For managed proxies, the format is: <service-name> managed <command-to-start-proxy> service-name is the name of the managed proxy service, and must not contain any spaces, for example ``LBX''. service-name is case insensi- tive. command-to-start-proxy is the command executed by the proxy manager to start a new instance of the proxy. If command-to-start-proxy con- tains spaces, the complete command should be surrounded by single quotes. If desired, command-to-start-proxy can be used to start a proxy on a remote machine. The specifics of the remote execution method used to do this is not specified here. EXAMPLE
Here is a sample configuration file: ! proxy manager config file ! ! Each line has the format: ! <serviceName> managed <startCommand> ! or ! <serviceName> unmanaged <proxyAddress> ! lbx managed /usr/bin/lbxproxy ! ! substitute site-specific info xfwp unmanaged firewall:4444 PROXY MANAGER DETAILS
When the proxy manager gets a request from xfindproxy (or another similar client), its course of action will depend on the service-name in question. For a managed proxy service, the proxy manager will find out if any of the already running proxies for this service can handle a new request. If not, the proxy manager will attempt to start up a new instance of the proxy (using the command-to-start-proxy found in the config file). If that fails, an error will be returned to the caller. For an unmanaged proxy service, the proxy manager will look in the config file to find all unmanaged proxies for this service. If there is more than one entry in the config file with the same unmanaged service-name, the proxy manager will try to use the proxies in the order presented in the config file. If none of the unmanaged proxies can satisfy the request, the proxy manager will timeout for a configurable amount of time (specified by -timeout or default of 10) and reattempt to find an unmanaged proxy willing to satisfy the request. The num- ber of retries can be specified by the -retries argument, or a default of 3 will be used. If the retries fail, the proxy manager has no choice but to return an error to the caller (since the proxy manager can not start unmanaged proxy services). BUGS
proxy manager listen port should be configurable. -timeout and -retries is not implemented in proxymngr. proxymngr does not utilize the ``options'' and ``host'' fields in the proxy management protocol GetProxyAddr request. SEE ALSO
xfindproxy (1), xfwp (1), Proxy Management Protocol spec V1.0 AUTHOR
Ralph Mor, X Consortium X Version 11 proxymngr 1.0.1 PROXYMNGR(1)