Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux & Office Suites
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Linux & Office Suites Post 23732 by The Fridgerator on Thursday 27th of June 2002 11:51:22 PM
Old 06-28-2002
OpenOffice and StarOffice are the best office suites that i have ever seen for Linux. They are much better than MS office. Staroffice recently started charging for it. OpenOffice is still free though and they are almost the exact same. They are compatible with MS office formats too.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i find staroffice or any other kind office program for unix or linux?

No detail:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

SuSe Linux runs MS Office

SuSe Linux runs MS Office (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
0 Replies

4. Linux

MS Office for Linux..

Hi all, I have to install MS office on the Linux 9. As it is the essential part of my Internship. So I just want to know the following things: 1. Is it possible? 2. From where I can get the MS Ofiice for Linux 9. 3. From wher I can get the Documentation for Installing it. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aman_mlt
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

how can i get open office package for Redhat Linux 5.0

Dear Team, Any body who have idea to down load the open office package for Redhat linux 5.0. Please send me the URL. so that i can easily down load from net. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahu.tapan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finger command not showing Office, Office Phone from /etc/passwd

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but at this point my question seems to be an advanced topic. I'm curious why it is that the "office phone" column of finger does not seem to report anything even when data is entered in the GECOS field of /etc/passwd. I am using Ubuntu 8.10, kernel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gratuitous_arp
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Platform - NDM Script - && Operator

Hi All, I have a requirement where i need to NDM 3 files from LINUX to Mainframe system & trigger a job in mainframe once the 3 files are transmitted successfully. I am getting an error message in the && operator (the code component where i am checking whether step 1/2/3 are completed). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies

8. Linux

Office installation on Linux without root access

Need Assistance in finding office open source for REDHAT linux. Need to be compiled as non-root user . If possible I also need instructions for installation. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
6 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Xalan & Xerces issues for Oracle Linux 6.6 & Solarisstudio12.3 C++ compiler for Linux

Hi Team, I am facing issue while using Xalan & Xerces for my application. Below are my environment details i am using :- Platform:- Oracle Linux 6.6 Compiler :- solarisstudio12.3 C++ compiler for Linux Below are the versions of Xalan & Xerces source code used to build the shared object... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: agrachirag
0 Replies
ooffice(1)							   User Commands							ooffice(1)

Name
       ooffice - OpenOffice.org office suite

SYNOPSIS
ooffice [-accept=accept-string] [-base] [-calc] [-display display] [-draw] [-global] [-headless] [-help|-h|-?] [-impress] [-invisible] [-math] [-minimized] [-n filename] [-nodefault] [-nolockcheck] [-nologo] [-norestore] [-o filename] [-p filename...] [-pt printername filename...] [-show presentation] [-unaccept=accept-string] [-terminate_after_init] [-view filename] [-web] [-writer] [filename...] oobase oocalc oodraw oofromtemplate ooimpress oomath ooweb oowriter DESCRIPTION
OpenOffice.org is a fully featured office suite for the daily use with all features you would normally expect in a office suite. This script runs OpenOffice with the arguments <args> given on the command line. There are also some wrapper scripts in /usr/bin which run the wanted OpenOffice.org module. OPTIONS
filename... Files to operate on. Opening them is the default behavior, which can be influenced by command line arguments. -p will print the files instead. -accept=accept-string Notifies the OpenOffice.org software that upon the creation of "UNO Acceptor Threads", a "UNO Accept String" will be used. -base Starts with the database wizard. -calc Starts with an empty Calc document. -display display This option specifies the X server to contact; see X(7) -draw Starts with an empty Draw document. -global Starts with an empty Global document. -headless Starts in "headless mode", which allows using the application without user interface. This special mode can be used when the application is controlled by external clients via the API. -help|-h|-? Lists the available OOo-native command line parameters to the console. -impress Starts with an empty Impress document. -invisible Starts in invisible mode. Neither the start-up logo nor the initial program window will be visible. However, the OpenOffice.org software can be controlled and documents and dialogs opened via the API. When the OpenOffice.org software has been started with this parameter, it can only be ended using the taskmanager (Windows) or the kill command (UNIX based systems). It cannot be used in conjunction with -quickstart. -math Starts with an empty Math document. -minimized Keep the splash screen minimized. -n filename Creates a new document using filename as a template. -nodefault Starts the application without any window opened for the first time. A window appears if you start the office next time. It is used together with the option -nologo by quickstarters. Note that the option -quickstart has not been longer supported since OpenOffice.org 2.0.0. -nolockcheck Disables the check for remote instances using the installation. -nologo Disables the splash screen at program start. -norestore Disables restart and file recovery after a system crash. It is possible OOo will try to restore a file it keeps crashing on, if that happens -norestore is the only way to start OOo. -o filename Opens filename for editing, even if it is a template. -p filename... Prints the given files to the default printer and ends. The splash screen does not appear. If the file name contains spaces, then it must be enclosed in quotation marks. -pt printername filename... Prints the given files to the printer printername and ends. The splash screen does not appear. If the file name contains spaces, then it must be enclosed in quotation marks. -show presentation Starts with the given Impress file and starts the presentation. Enters edit mode after the presentation. -unaccept=accept-string Closes an acceptor that was created with -accept option. Use -unaccept=all to close all open acceptors. -terminate_after_init The office terminates after it registers some UNO services. The office doesn't show the intro bitmap during startup. -view filename Creates a temporary copy of the given file and opens it read-only. -web Starts with an empty HTML document. -writer Starts with an empty Writer document. TROUBLESHOOTING PROBLEMS
See http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:OOo for more details about how to report bugs in OpenOffice.org. SEE ALSO
http://go-oo.org/ AUTHOR
This manual page was created by Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution, because the original package does not have one. It was updated for Novell by Petr Mladek <petr.mladek@novell.com>. OpenOffice.org 2008-11-19 ooffice(1)