Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED- Insert text at top of file Post 23657 by peter.herlihy on Wednesday 26th of June 2002 06:04:05 PM
Old 06-26-2002
Typically in unix you will need to interchange double quotes and single quotes - when one or the other are used within..like this.

So with the sed command use:

sed "1i\
your text has some's apostrophes's in here" file_name > new_filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi?

when directing some text into a file can you choose where it goes like the top of the file (which is text aswell) or the middle?? if so how - especially would like to know how to do so in vi (text editor) If i were to enter an argument ($1) into a another argument ($2) would it would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file only after the first match with SED

Hello, I'm new in Shell scripting but i should write a script, which inserts the license header out of a txt-File into the files in our Projekt. For the Java classes it runs without Problems but for XML files not. At xml-files i have to put the license Header after the xml-Header (?xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhoenixONE
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert text at first line of empty file

I can't seem to get sed to allow me to insert text in the first line of an empty file. I have a file.txt that is a 0 byte file. I want sed to insert " fooBar" onto the first line. I've tried a few options and nothing seems to work. They work just fine if there's text in the file tho. Help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text file at first line

sed '1r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt This example will insert 'file.txt' between line 1 and 2 of source.txt. sed '0r file.txt' <source.txt >desti.txt gives an error message. Does anyone know how 'sed' can insert 'file.txt' before the first line of source.txt? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: psve
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time header at top of file

I'm trying to take mrt output and put it at the top of a file along with the date and time. I was able to do it at the bottom of the file with the following printf "********** $(date) **********\n\n" >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME mtr -r -w -c 10 $HOSTADDRESS >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kramer65
2 Replies
GLFRUSTUM(3G)															     GLFRUSTUM(3G)

NAME
glFrustum - multiply the current matrix by a perspective matrix C SPECIFICATION
void glFrustum( GLdouble left, GLdouble right, GLdouble bottom, GLdouble top, GLdouble zNear, GLdouble zFar ) PARAMETERS
left, right Specify the coordinates for the left and right vertical clipping planes. bottom, top Specify the coordinates for the bottom and top horizontal clipping planes. zNear, zFar Specify the distances to the near and far depth clipping planes. Both distances must be positive. DESCRIPTION
glFrustum describes a perspective matrix that produces a perspective projection. The current matrix (see glMatrixMode) is multiplied by this matrix and the result replaces the current matrix, as if glMultMatrix were called with the following matrix as its argument: 2 zNear ------------ 0 A 0 right - left 2 zNear 0 ------------ B 0 top - bottom 0 0 C D 0 0 -1 0 A = (right + left) / (right - left) B = (top + bottom) / (top - bottom) C = - (zFar + zNear) / (zFar - zNear) D = - (2 zFar zNear) / (zFar - zNear) Typically, the matrix mode is GL_PROJECTION, and (left, bottom, -zNear) and (right, top, -zNear) specify the points on the near clipping plane that are mapped to the lower left and upper right corners of the window, assuming that the eye is located at (0, 0, 0). -zFar speci- fies the location of the far clipping plane. Both zNear and zFar must be positive. Use glPushMatrix and glPopMatrix to save and restore the current matrix stack. NOTES
Depth buffer precision is affected by the values specified for zNear and zFar. The greater the ratio of zFar to zNear is, the less effec- tive the depth buffer will be at distinguishing between surfaces that are near each other. If r = zFar / zNear roughly log2(r) bits of depth buffer precision are lost. Because r approaches infinity as zNear approaches 0, zNear must never be set to 0. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if zNear or zFar is not positive, or if left = right, or bottom = top. GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if glFrustum is executed between the execution of glBegin and the corresponding execution of glEnd. ASSOCIATED GETS
glGet with argument GL_MATRIX_MODE glGet with argument GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX glGet with argument GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX glGet with argument GL_TEXTURE_MATRIX glGet with argument GL_COLOR_MATRIX SEE ALSO
glOrtho, glMatrixMode, glMultMatrix, glPushMatrix, glViewport GLFRUSTUM(3G)