Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mknod
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mknod Post 23653 by bemeeks on Wednesday 26th of June 2002 03:52:15 PM
Old 06-26-2002
Question mknod

Can someone please tell me what the command mknod does and what it's syntax is? I can't find it in my "Unix for dummies" book or "Unix in s nutshell". I found it in an existing script that I want to copy, but I want to understand what I am doing. The script is going to do a full export of an Oracle database. I suspect that this command is pre-creating the output file, and making it special in some way, like giving it extra security or something, but I don't really know.

Thanks,
Beginner Bonnie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

mknod system call to clone /dev/null

I'm trying to use the "mknod" call in C to create a clone of /dev/null. I am stumped as to the final parameter I should provide to "mknod()". I am supposed to give it a type dev_t, which specifies a major & minor number. I want to specify major 3, minor 1, but how can I do this? dev_t seems to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Help:NFS mknod failed

this is existing issue for this nfs client, which mounts windows exported file system, and this is only one UNIX box has this problem, other boxes are fine. Here is from messages file. Jan 24 03:11:10 venus nfs: NFS mknod failed for server arc: error 2 (RPC: Can't decode result) Jan... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: steeles
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Mknod

Hey guys i dont quite understand mknod, can anyone explain it to me and what is its purpose in LVM. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info regarding mknod -p

Hello All, Friends i know mknod with -p option is used to create FIFO special file.:p But i want to know some circumstance/scenario where these are used.:wall: Actually i want to know where i can use it in real time. Please advise.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bibhudatta
3 Replies

5. AIX

What is mknod file present in /etc folder in AIX server used for ?

Hi Guys, On my AIX server , I have this file "mknod" present in the /etc/ directory. When i try opening it , I dont find any ascii characters. It shows some encryption/binary format which is not readable. Is it any executable ? what is the purpose of having this file in etc folder? what if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBTuner
2 Replies
mknod(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  mknod(8)

NAME
mknod - Creates a special file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mknod special_file [ b major_device# minor_device# | c major_device# minor_device#] /usr/sbin/mknod filename p DESCRIPTION
The mknod command makes a directory entry. The first argument is the name of the special device file. Select a name that is descriptive of the device. The mknod command has two forms. In the first form, the second argument is the b or c flag. The last two arguments are numbers specifying the major_device, which helps the operating system find the device driver code, and the minor_device, the unit drive, or line number, which may be either decimal or octal. The assignment of major device numbers is specific to each system. You can determine the device numbers by examining the conf.c system source file. If you change the contents of the conf.c file to add a device driver, you must rebuild the kernel. In the second form of mknod, you use the p flag to create named pipes (FIFOs). Only the superuser can create a character or device special file. FLAGS
Indicates that the special file corresponds to a block-oriented device (disk or tape) Indicates that the special file corresponds to a character-oriented device Creates named pipes (FIFOs) EXAMPLES
To create the special file for a new drive, /dev/disk/dsk20, with a major device number of 1 and a minor device number of 2, enter: mknod /dev/disk/dsk20 b 1 2 This command creates the special file, /dev/disk/dsk20, which is a block special file with major device number 1 and minor device number 2. To create a pipe named fifo, enter: mknod fifo p This command creates the pipe fifo, which is not necessarily in the current directory. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the system device numbers specification file delim off mknod(8)