Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut Return and Join
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cut Return and Join Post 23632 by Perderabo on Wednesday 26th of June 2002 09:34:59 AM
Old 06-26-2002
In private email, the OP told me that any line that does not start with "REQC" must be joined with the line that precedes it. This is the kind of information that we need to tackle this problem. Here is a sed script that does just that...
Code:
#! /usr/bin/sed -nf
#
#
${s/^REQC/REQC/
t final
H
b found
: final
x
s/\n//g
p
x
p
b
}
1{h
d
}
s/^REQC/REQC/
t found
H
b
: found
x
s/\n//g
p

Please take the time to define your problem carefully. We can't solve problems that we don't understand.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

join (pls help on join command)

Hi, I am a new learner of join command. Some result really make me confused. Please kindly help me. input: file1: LEO oracle engineer 210375 P.Jones Office Runner ID897 L.Clip Personl Chief ID982 S.Round UNIX admin ID6 file2: Dept2C ID897 6 years Dept5Z ID982 1 year Dept3S ID6 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

3. Programming

sql,multiple join,outer join issue

example sql: select a.a1,b.b1,c.c1,d.d1,e.e1 from a left outer join b on a.x=b.x left outer join c on b.y=c.y left outer join d on d.z=a.z inner join a.t=e.t I know how single outer or inner join works in sql. But I don't really understand when there are multiple of them. can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiezr
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join 2 files with multiple columns: awk/grep/join?

Hello, My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, I have had a look at several threads but I am still confused how to use these functions. I have two files, each with 5 columns: File A: (tab-delimited) PDB CHAIN Start End Fragment 1avq A 171 176 awyfan 1avq A 172 177 wyfany 1c7k A 2 7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to join two files using "Join" command with one common field in this problem?

file1: Toronto:12439755:1076359:July 1, 1867:6 Quebec City:7560592:1542056:July 1, 1867:5 Halifax:938134:55284:July 1, 1867:4 Fredericton:751400:72908:July 1, 1867:3 Winnipeg:1170300:647797:July 15, 1870:7 Victoria:4168123:944735:July 20, 1871:10 Charlottetown:137900:5660:July 1, 1873:2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindfreak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the the join command to join multiple files by a common column

Hi, I have 20 tab delimited text files that have a common column (column 1). The files are named GSM1.txt through GSM20.txt. Each file has 3 columns (2 other columns in addition to the first common column). I want to write a script to join the files by the first common column so that in the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join, merge, fill NULL the void columns of multiples files like sql "LEFT JOIN" by using awk

Hello, This post is already here but want to do this with another way Merge multiples files with multiples duplicates keys by filling "NULL" the void columns for anothers joinning files file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: 1|123|jojo 1|NULL|bibi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with prefixes in the range of ``x-z'' and with suffixes as above. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
For historical reasons, if you specify name, split can only create 676 separate files. The default naming convention allows 2028 separate files. The -a option can be used to work around this limitation. The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD