Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX beginner - I need help please Post 2351 by alwayslearningunix on Wednesday 9th of May 2001 05:31:53 AM
Old 05-09-2001
Hi JennyW
It sounds like you are looking for a web hosting account on a UNIX platform. Unfortunately you are not likely to find a good FREE web hosting solution which allows cgi scripting. Despite this free web hosters usually involve ugly advertising banners be placed on your pages and their reliability and means of maintaining your content are pretty pathetic. Most of them don't involve shell access, which you will need if you want any degree of control over your scripts. I would search for web hosting on the internet, you can get good packages for only $10 a month, which allow cgi, php, perl, sql, etc.

This is a good link to a beginners UNIX tutorial:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

This is slightly more advanced:
http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/~patrick/LOCAL/teach/unix/

After this you'll know enough to play around in your filesystem.

Hope this helps.

Regards
alwayslearningunix

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner: Securing a Unix box

Newbie in the Unix world here....trying to load Solaris 2.8 AGAIN, and trying to secure the box this time. Any suggestions anyone? Any tips? Appreciate your help, gurus! TIA, trigeek8888 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigeek8888
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix beginner book help

Due to my new job I need to learn Unix to advance in the company and I am mainly a windows and mac user. What is a good book to get me started on the right path and hopefully prevent me from wasting money on several books and weeks of reading. Any response is welcomed thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windowsux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix beginner. Need some very basic help.

Hey all I'm working on a script that will scour a directory of 6000+ files for a line that at the end has a number. Something like 'The number of outputs is: 39200' I'm trying to devise a script to add all of these numbers up, so far I have the grep statement that pulls out each individual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books for Beginner

Hi, I am a beginner and I want to learn Unix, so I want to buy a good unix books. Here's a few books that I think can be useful, but I nned you suggestion and comments. 1. Beginning UNIX by Wrox 2. Mastering Unix by Katherine Wrightson, Joseph Merlino, .. 3. Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wizzkid
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Unix / Linux Beginner...

Hello folks. I am new to Unix / Linux and this forum and wanted to introduce myself. Currently I work as a system analyst on an old IBM S/390 mainframe system with Sun and SGI at the peripheral that runs the heart of the space surveillance system for the US Air Force. I hear that our future... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbeck
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Beginner needs help

how do i implement a script that asks user to input a word. it should ask for input a word continuously until the word is longer than 5 characters then stop. this is what i have so far #!/bin/bash read -p "enter word" word1 while ; do echo "continue" done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcusstar10
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

5 Unix things you wish you knew as a beginner...

I am trying to get better at UNIX, and I wanted to post a question so I can take some advice from more experienced programmers. What are some things that you wished you knew (while you were learning UNIX) that you think every beginner should know? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: statichazard
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Need HP unix documentation for beginner

Hello All, I am working in HP unix since 5 years on application and support. But in order to get opportunity out side i need to learn admintration Can somebody help me to guide hot start for this. Do we have any doc(pdf) to start with. Thanks Krsnadasa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Beginner's Book

I am a beginner and have recently started to study unix. I checked some of the posts on this forum just to check if a new member like me can easily be guided and found it very interesting. This seems like a great place where i can get answer to my doubts and questions. I checked the thread for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaal
1 Replies
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)

NAME
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner - naive implementation of some beginner specific error checking SYNOPSIS
use Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner; my $beginner = Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner->new; if (not $beginner->check($data)) { warn $beginner->error; } DESCRIPTION
This is a naive implementation. It needs to be replaced by one using PPI. In Perl 5 there are lots of pitfalls the unaware, especially the beginner can easily fall in. While some might expect the Perl compiler itself would catch those it does not (yet ?) do it. So we took the initiative and added a beginners mode to Padre in which these extra issues are checked. Some are real problems that would trigger an error anyway we just make them a special case with a more specific error message. (e.g. "use warning;" without the trailing s) Others are valid code that can be useful in the hands of a master but that are poisonous when written by mistake by someone who does not understand them. (e.g. "if ($x = /value/) { }" ). This module provides a method called "check" that can check a Perl script (provided as parameter as a single string) and recognize problematic code. Examples See <http://padre.perlide.org/ticket/52> and <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=728569> Cases o split /,/, @data; Here @data is in scalar context returning the number of elements. Spotted in this form: split /,/, @ARGV; o use warning; s is missing at the end. o map { $_; } (@items),$extra_item; is the same as map { $_; } (@items,$extra_item); but you usually want (map { $_; } (@items)),$extra_item; which means: map all @items and them add $extra_item without mapping it. o Warn about Perl-standard package names being reused package DB; o $x = chomp $y; print chomp $y; o map { s/foo/bar/; } (@items); This returns an array containing true or false values (s/// - return value). Use map { s/foo/bar/; $_; } (@items); to actually change the array via s///. o <@X> o if ($x = /bla/) { } o Pipe | in open() not at the end or the beginning. o open($ph, "| something |"); o Regular expression starting with a quantifier such as /+.../ o } else if { o } elseif { o close; HOW TO ADD ANOTHER ONE
Please feel free to add as many checks as you like. This is done in three steps: Add the test Add one (or more) tests for this case to t/75-perl-beginner.t The test should be successful when your supplied sample fails the check and returns the correct error message. As texts of error messages may change, try to match a good part which allows identification of the message but don't match the very exact text. Tests could use either one-liners written as strings within the test file or external support files. There are samples for both ways in the test script. Add the check Add the check to the check-sub of this file (Document/Perl/Beginner.pm). There are plenty samples here. Remember to add a sample (and maybe short description) what would fail the test. Run the test script to match your test case(s) to the new check. Add the configuration option Go to Config.pm, look for the beginner error checks configuration and add a new setting for your new check there. It defaults to 1 (run the check), but a user could turn it off by setting this to 0 within the Padre configuration file. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2012 The Padre development team as listed in Padre.pm. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-27 Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)