Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX beginner - I need help please Post 2347 by JennyW on Tuesday 8th of May 2001 09:00:05 PM
Old 05-08-2001
Hi my name is Jenny.
I'm a very very big beginner with UNIX.

I've made Forms on my website, but need to add CGI to compliment them.

Presently, I don't have a host that supports UNIX.

Is there anywhere I can connect to a UNIX session for free?
If so, will they most likely have the latest version of Perl?

Let me know if I'm not making sense.

I have no idea at all as to where I can start learning about all this CGI/UNIX/Perl stuff.

Does anyone know of any really really basic tutorials? I mean, I'm so "left-in-the-dark" that I don't even know how to log-on or how I'm gonna be able to test my scripts.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
Jenny

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner: Securing a Unix box

Newbie in the Unix world here....trying to load Solaris 2.8 AGAIN, and trying to secure the box this time. Any suggestions anyone? Any tips? Appreciate your help, gurus! TIA, trigeek8888 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigeek8888
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix beginner book help

Due to my new job I need to learn Unix to advance in the company and I am mainly a windows and mac user. What is a good book to get me started on the right path and hopefully prevent me from wasting money on several books and weeks of reading. Any response is welcomed thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windowsux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix beginner. Need some very basic help.

Hey all I'm working on a script that will scour a directory of 6000+ files for a line that at the end has a number. Something like 'The number of outputs is: 39200' I'm trying to devise a script to add all of these numbers up, so far I have the grep statement that pulls out each individual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiznaraN
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Books for Beginner

Hi, I am a beginner and I want to learn Unix, so I want to buy a good unix books. Here's a few books that I think can be useful, but I nned you suggestion and comments. 1. Beginning UNIX by Wrox 2. Mastering Unix by Katherine Wrightson, Joseph Merlino, .. 3. Unix in a Nutshell, Fourth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wizzkid
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Unix / Linux Beginner...

Hello folks. I am new to Unix / Linux and this forum and wanted to introduce myself. Currently I work as a system analyst on an old IBM S/390 mainframe system with Sun and SGI at the peripheral that runs the heart of the space surveillance system for the US Air Force. I hear that our future... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbeck
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Beginner needs help

how do i implement a script that asks user to input a word. it should ask for input a word continuously until the word is longer than 5 characters then stop. this is what i have so far #!/bin/bash read -p "enter word" word1 while ; do echo "continue" done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcusstar10
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

5 Unix things you wish you knew as a beginner...

I am trying to get better at UNIX, and I wanted to post a question so I can take some advice from more experienced programmers. What are some things that you wished you knew (while you were learning UNIX) that you think every beginner should know? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: statichazard
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Need HP unix documentation for beginner

Hello All, I am working in HP unix since 5 years on application and support. But in order to get opportunity out side i need to learn admintration Can somebody help me to guide hot start for this. Do we have any doc(pdf) to start with. Thanks Krsnadasa (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Beginner's Book

I am a beginner and have recently started to study unix. I checked some of the posts on this forum just to check if a new member like me can easily be guided and found it very interesting. This seems like a great place where i can get answer to my doubts and questions. I checked the thread for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaal
1 Replies
CGI::Session::Driver::file(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   CGI::Session::Driver::file(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Session::Driver::file - Default CGI::Session driver SYNOPSIS
$s = CGI::Session->new(); $s = CGI::Session->new("driver:file", $sid); $s = CGI::Session->new("driver:file", $sid, {Directory=>'/tmp'}); DESCRIPTION
When CGI::Session object is created without explicitly setting driver, file will be assumed. file - driver will store session data in plain files, where each session will be stored in a separate file. Naming conventions of session files are defined by $CGI::Session::Driver::file::FileName global variable. Default value of this variable is cgisess_%s, where %s will be replaced with respective session ID. Should you wish to set your own FileName template, do so before requesting for session object: use CGI::Session::Driver::file; # This line is mandatory. # Time passes... $CGI::Session::Driver::file::FileName = "%s.dat"; $s = CGI::Session->new(); For backwards compatibility with 3.x, you can also use the variable name $CGI::Session::File::FileName, which will override the one above. DRIVER ARGUMENTS If you wish to specify a session directory, use the Directory option, which denotes location of the directory where session ids are to be kept. If Directory is not set, defaults to whatever File::Spec->tmpdir() returns. So all the three lines in the SYNOPSIS section of this manual produce the same result on a UNIX machine. If specified Directory does not exist, all necessary directory hierarchy will be created. By default, sessions are created with a umask of 0660. If you wish to change the umask for a session, pass a UMask option with an octal representation of the umask you would like for said session. NOTES
If your OS doesn't support flock, you should understand the risks of going without locking the session files. Since sessions tend to be used in environments where race conditions may occur due to concurrent access of files by different processes, locking tends to be seen as a good and very necessary thing. If you still want to use this driver but don't want flock, set $CGI::Session::Driver::file::NoFlock to 1 or pass "NoFlock => 1" and this driver will operate without locks. LICENSING
For support and licensing see CGI::Session perl v5.12.4 2011-07-08 CGI::Session::Driver::file(3pm)