Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find function Post 23433 by peter.herlihy on Sunday 23rd of June 2002 11:12:34 PM
Old 06-24-2002
Use what you have putting '2 > /dev/null' on the end.

This puts the STD ERR (errors) into /dev/null....the big 'black hole' of unix.

There is the option to put STD OUT to /dev/null as well....but you want to see the output - so not good for this example.

If you weren't intereseted in getting any output from a command (either errors or output - then you could use 2>&1 >/dev/null.

This pipes std error to std out - then puts it all to dev null.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find function names

hi, i am a newbie and have to write a rather complicated script. Assume that i have a variable called x and a C source code file say file1.c (these are the inputs of the script) and i need to find the names of all the functions in the C file containing x.Take the following code as an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samantha grace
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with find function

Hi, Im using a find function to find a specific file and print it. eg. find /path -name filename -type f -print -exec more '{}' \; The problem I have is that I need to know if the file has not been fount (ie it does not exist). I had a look at the find function and could not find anything... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strobo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to find out a function name in a cpp file

I have an error in my logs as it shows some function name . 1. I dnt know where is the file.cpp located only i know the machine . 2. How to find out that the function name is loacated in which path and which file into that machine. Thanks . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madfox
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find function name in a program file

Hello All, Is there any way to find a function name in a program file using perl. for example, there is a file called Test.C in that . . void function1(..) { <some code> } int function2(..) { . . sam() /*RA abc100*/ ... .. .. xyz()/*RA abc201*/ .. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parthiban
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use internal function with find command

Hi, I need to use a function in the find command to do some process on the file. I'm trying: funcname(){ ... } ... find ./ -name "*" -exec funcname {} \; But somehow this is not working. I don't want to have a separate script for whatever processing the function does. I want to have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

use File::Find function

Hello, I'm learning the perl's Find function using unix but I keep getting this error when running the script: "Not a CODE reference at /usr/lib.perl5/5.8.8/File/Find.pm line 822" - what does this mean? Does anyone know??? Here's my script: use File::Find; find (\$dir,$ENV{HOME}); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new bie
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call function from Find command

I am writing a bash script in which I am using the find command to find files, and then I'd like to send the output to a function (in the same script) that will process those results (such as test if the file is an image, and other things). However, try as I might, I can't get the function to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find function

Hi, There is requirement where I need to search if a particular directory name is present or not and if its present I need to collate the paths of the directories in a file. I tried the below command echo $(find /home/mqm -name "check")>>config.txt Its saving the paths in one line(like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayii
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find function script

Hi everybody, I want your help on what, I suppose, might seem a simple task to many of you. the deal is to write a script that will look in a specific folder to see if there is any file whose size is bigger than say 1M and if so to execute a command. like if then log_rotate fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenci_xc
3 Replies
find(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   find(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
find - search for classes and objects SYNOPSIS
itcl::find option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The find command is used to find classes and objects that are available in the current interpreter. Classes and objects are reported first in the active namespace, then in all other namespaces in the interpreter. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: find classes ?pattern? Returns a list of [incr Tcl] classes. Classes in the current namespace are listed first, followed by classes in all other names- paces in the interpreter. If the optional pattern is specified, then the reported names are compared using the rules of the "string match" command, and only matching names are reported. If a class resides in the current namespace context, this command reports its simple name--without any qualifiers. However, if the pattern contains :: qualifiers, or if the class resides in another context, this command reports its fully-qualified name. There- fore, you can use the following command to obtain a list where all names are fully-qualified: itcl::find classes ::* find objects ?pattern? ?-class className? ?-isa className? Returns a list of [incr Tcl] objects. Objects in the current namespace are listed first, followed by objects in all other names- paces in the interpreter. If the optional pattern is specified, then the reported names are compared using the rules of the "string match" command, and only matching names are reported. If the optional "-class" parameter is specified, this list is restricted to objects whose most-specific class is className. If the optional "-isa" parameter is specified, this list is further restricted to objects having the given className anywhere in their heritage. If an object resides in the current namespace context, this command reports its simple name--without any qualifiers. However, if the pattern contains :: qualifiers, or if the object resides in another context, this command reports its fully-qualified name. Therefore, you can use the following command to obtain a list where all names are fully-qualified: itcl::find objects ::* KEYWORDS
class, object, search, import itcl 3.0 find(n)