Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find function Post 23432 by pkumar_syd on Sunday 23rd of June 2002 10:32:33 PM
Old 06-23-2002
find function

I was trying the following "find" command to search for a particular file in UNIX directories:

find / -name <filename> -print

Result on the screen appears like:

find: cannot open <..>
..permission denied

Is there any way, I could avoid these type of search results and only see the correct file?

Cheers,
Pravin Kumar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FIND function - system wide

Hi, I have a task to search for a file called 'Xstartup' in the whole system because there might be different versions of it which overrite eachother. Can anyone suggest a smart command to run this search ? The machine needs to scan every single folder beginning from root. Please help, I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find function names

hi, i am a newbie and have to write a rather complicated script. Assume that i have a variable called x and a C source code file say file1.c (these are the inputs of the script) and i need to find the names of all the functions in the C file containing x.Take the following code as an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samantha grace
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with find function

Hi, Im using a find function to find a specific file and print it. eg. find /path -name filename -type f -print -exec more '{}' \; The problem I have is that I need to know if the file has not been fount (ie it does not exist). I had a look at the find function and could not find anything... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strobo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to find out a function name in a cpp file

I have an error in my logs as it shows some function name . 1. I dnt know where is the file.cpp located only i know the machine . 2. How to find out that the function name is loacated in which path and which file into that machine. Thanks . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madfox
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find function name in a program file

Hello All, Is there any way to find a function name in a program file using perl. for example, there is a file called Test.C in that . . void function1(..) { <some code> } int function2(..) { . . sam() /*RA abc100*/ ... .. .. xyz()/*RA abc201*/ .. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parthiban
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use internal function with find command

Hi, I need to use a function in the find command to do some process on the file. I'm trying: funcname(){ ... } ... find ./ -name "*" -exec funcname {} \; But somehow this is not working. I don't want to have a separate script for whatever processing the function does. I want to have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

use File::Find function

Hello, I'm learning the perl's Find function using unix but I keep getting this error when running the script: "Not a CODE reference at /usr/lib.perl5/5.8.8/File/Find.pm line 822" - what does this mean? Does anyone know??? Here's my script: use File::Find; find (\$dir,$ENV{HOME}); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new bie
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call function from Find command

I am writing a bash script in which I am using the find command to find files, and then I'd like to send the output to a function (in the same script) that will process those results (such as test if the file is an image, and other things). However, try as I might, I can't get the function to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find function

Hi, There is requirement where I need to search if a particular directory name is present or not and if its present I need to collate the paths of the directories in a file. I tried the below command echo $(find /home/mqm -name "check")>>config.txt Its saving the paths in one line(like... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayii
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find function script

Hi everybody, I want your help on what, I suppose, might seem a simple task to many of you. the deal is to write a script that will look in a specific folder to see if there is any file whose size is bigger than say 1M and if so to execute a command. like if then log_rotate fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenci_xc
3 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)