Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I start a program when I start my Computer? Post 23424 by killerserv on Sunday 23rd of June 2002 08:30:29 PM
Old 06-23-2002
You can write a script and place it under your /etc/rc2.d/ It will execute upon startup.

Code:
#!/bin/sh 

state=$1 

case $state in 

'start') 
ulimit -n 512 
/usr/tmp/nixey/ -bd # start nixey
;; 
'stop') 
kill -15 `cat /etc/shield.pid` 
;; 
*) 
echo "Usage: S96shield { start | stop }" 
;; 
esac

The above is an Example. A small definition on how you can set your program upon startup. Iam showing this example so you can setup the program first then write a sample program as shown above. Anyway im not MAC OS oriented. Sp try to install the Software "Nixey" then play around with it on starting up the program process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup?

hi all How can I make a program start up automatically after the computer restart/startup in fedora? something like: ... Establish a shell then run some of command code. Thanks for Help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: munna_dude
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

little start c program

hello, i wil make the next mission: give how many chambers in a constant number. use an array which chamber is free and count how many chamber there are free. make also something to test I don't now how to start. I need an little example so i can make the mission thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wouter88
10 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

A program crashed my iMac so bad that it could not start up.

Hi, Solid as a rock or ... Is it possible for a program to damage an iMac (Snow Leopard) so bad that it cannot start up again, and need to be repaired? I am asking about this, because this seems to have occurred two days ago, when I was running a popular game program. When I closed the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASL123
6 Replies

7. Fedora

[Solved] Unable to start Matlab program

hello everyone, I have Matlab installed on Fedora 16. I tried running it by simply typing on terminal: $ matlabBut it returned the follwoing error: --- can anyone suggest a solution? cheers, peter ---------- Post updated at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peter_071
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to start program and answer prompts?

I'm trying to write a script the simplifies the execution of a program: After starting the program (sh ~/.mfix/model/make_mfix) I am prompted four times for options: Do you need SMP version? (y/n) Do you need DMP version? (y/n) Do you need debug version? (y/n) Force re-compilation of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanew
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program depending on processor workload

Hi community, I'm looking for a script/code which starts a shell script with a MPI process depending on: a) the processor workload, i.e. if the workload falls below a certain limit b) alternatively if the previous process finished, e.g. if a process ID disappears I need this for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heunigreenfreak
3 Replies

10. Fedora

Um, my computer suddenly won't start up

Okay, I'm fairly green at Fedora, but it has worked like a gem until now. On startup I get a screen that says this: Booting 'Fedora (3.6.11-4.fc16.x86_64)' Loading Fedora (3.611-4.fc16.x86_64) Loading initial ramdisk .... _Fedora-16-x86_6: Unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anchorsteamer
6 Replies
XINIT(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     XINIT(1)

NAME
xinit - X Window System initializer SYNOPSIS
xinit [ [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options ... ] DESCRIPTION
The xinit program is used to start the X Window System server and a first client program on systems that are not using a display manager such as xdm(1) or in environments that use multiple window systems. When this first client exits, xinit will kill the X server and then terminate. If no specific client program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xinitrc to run as a shell script to start up client programs. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: xterm -geometry +1+1 -n login -display :0 If no specific server program is given on the command line, xinit will look for a file in the user's home directory called .xserverrc to run as a shell script to start up the server. If no such file exists, xinit will use the following as a default: X :0 Note that this assumes that there is a program named X in the current search path. The site administrator should, therefore, make a link to the appropriate type of server on the machine, or create a shell script that runs xinit with the appropriate server. Note, when using a .xserverrc script be sure to ``exec'' the real X server. Failing to do this can make the X server slow to start and exit. For example: exec Xdisplaytype An important point is that programs which are run by .xinitrc should be run in the background if they do not exit right away, so that they don't prevent other programs from starting up. However, the last long-lived program started (usually a window manager or terminal emula- tor) should be left in the foreground so that the script won't exit (which indicates that the user is done and that xinit should exit). An alternate client and/or server may be specified on the command line. The desired client program and its arguments should be given as the first command line arguments to xinit. To specify a particular server command line, append a double dash (--) to the xinit command line (after any client and arguments) followed by the desired server command. Both the client program name and the server program name must begin with a slash (/) or a period (.). Otherwise, they are treated as an arguments to be appended to their respective startup lines. This makes it possible to add arguments (for example, foreground and back- ground colors) without having to retype the whole command line. If an explicit server name is not given and the first argument following the double dash (--) is a colon followed by a digit, xinit will use that number as the display number instead of zero. All remaining arguments are appended to the server command line. EXAMPLES
Below are several examples of how command line arguments in xinit are used. xinit This will start up a server named X and run the user's .xinitrc, if it exists, or else start an xterm. xinit -- /usr/local/bin/Xvnc :1 This is how one could start a specific type of server on an alternate display. xinit -geometry =80x65+10+10 -fn 8x13 -j -fg white -bg navy This will start up a server named X, and will append the given arguments to the default xterm command. It will ignore .xinitrc. xinit -e widgets -- ./Xorg -l -c This will use the command .Xorg -l -c to start the server and will append the arguments -e widgets to the default xterm command. xinit /usr/ucb/rsh fasthost cpupig -display ws:1 -- :1 -a 2 -t 5 This will start a server named X on display 1 with the arguments -a 2 -t 5. It will then start a remote shell on the machine fasthost in which it will run the command cpupig, telling it to display back on the local workstation. Below is a sample .xinitrc that starts a clock, several terminals, and leaves the window manager running as the ``last'' application. Assuming that the window manager has been configured properly, the user then chooses the ``Exit'' menu item to shut down X. xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources xsetroot -solid gray & xclock -g 50x50-0+0 -bw 0 & xload -g 50x50-50+0 -bw 0 & xterm -g 80x24+0+0 & xterm -g 80x24+0-0 & twm Sites that want to create a common startup environment could simply create a default .xinitrc that references a site-wide startup file: #!/bin/sh . /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc Another approach is to write a script that starts xinit with a specific shell script. Such scripts are usually named x11, xstart, or startx and are a convenient way to provide a simple interface for novice users: #!/bin/sh xinit /usr/local/lib/site.xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X -br ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
DISPLAY This variable gets set to the name of the display to which clients should connect. XINITRC This variable specifies an init file containing shell commands to start up the initial windows. By default, .xinitrc in the home directory will be used. FILES
.xinitrc default client script xterm client to run if .xinitrc does not exist .xserverrc default server script X server to run if .xserverrc does not exist SEE ALSO
X(7), startx(1), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5), xterm(1) AUTHOR
Bob Scheifler, MIT Laboratory for Computer Science X Version 11 xinit 1.3.2 XINIT(1)