Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers printing number of files ONLY in ~ directory Post 23416 by rellips on Sunday 23rd of June 2002 02:07:59 PM
Old 06-23-2002
ls -l * | grep -v "^d" | wc -l

explaination:

ls -ld * shows all files -- I added the * because some systems list a total at the beginning and I didn't want this counted as file. The d prevents any recursion into directories.

grep -v "^d" that excudes all lines with a ' d ' at the beginning. In the long listing directory entries alway start with d.

You can look up wc in man.

Note: All links will be dispayed as files with this script regardless of whether they are to files or directories, and any devices listed in your directory (unlikely ) will be listed as files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

limit to number of files in a given directory

Everyone, We are on a unix AIX 4.3 platform and our application is written as such that all configuration files must reside in a specific directory. Currently there are over 10,000 files in this directory (and growing at about 300 per month). My question is is there a physical limit to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of files in a particular directory

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting.I am using Korn shell. I need to find if there are any files in a particular directory.first I need to find the number of files in the directory.If the file count is greater than 0 then I have to print the file names in a textfile and send an email to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbplatha
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of files in a directory

I have a directory which has lots of directories and files in it. I want to determine the total number of files in the top level directory (inclduing the files in sub-dirs) Is there a unix command of that ?/ Thanks !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tantric
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing files from a directory

Hi, I need help in printing files from a directory. eg: a directory called /home/ABC and there are 3 files in it. I need to give printout one bye one. One more thing is I need to print date and the path on the top of each page...like... Sep 30 14:22 2008 /home/ABC Page 1 I've been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: injeti
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of files per directory

Hi Guys, I am trying to display the total number of files within a directory (including sub dirs): i.e. solaris> du -sh * | sort +0rn 1009K cron 940K lib 849K svc 489K cacao 261K opt 212K preserve 167K dt But instead of the size I would like the number of files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: flexinfo
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a number of files to a directory, then more to another

I can't find how to do this. I want to take a bulk of files, and copy/move a specific number of them (say 1000) to a newly created directory. Once that directory is full, I want to create a new folder and copy/move another batch of files, and so on. Seems like there should be an easy way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing last modified sub-directory's files

hey, I need to write a command line (only one line), which prints the content of the files of the last modified sub-folder thanks in advance I have to use grep for this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijaanh
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)