Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux for an internet server to an ISP Post 2339 by izrailov on Tuesday 8th of May 2001 04:13:47 PM
Old 05-08-2001
Question

I just moved away from a T3 line back to a dial up I just wanted to know would a P200 with 64meg and a 4 gig hard drive be ok for a linux server for an additional 3 pcs all running win98. I will be dialing into an isp using a 56k v90 modem.

Any support or help will be great.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting up internet server

Hello, Corrently we are useing winproxy to use internet. my client desktops connects to winproxy using tcpip and get the access, now we have changed windows opreating system to linux 7.1. my problem is i am able to connect internet on linux machine but now i wants all clients connect to linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twadkar
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

internet speed thru gateway/server

Other than security does having a separate linux box for the intranet server and a separate one for intranet gateway effect the speed of the internet connection. We have our server and gateway on 40GB HD 256 MB RAM 1.5 GHz Intel P3 Can the server/gateway be configured for better speed?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramyar
1 Replies

3. AIX

server seek internet

hello i'm working with aix 5.3 hacmp 5.4 P550 and P520 those two serevr every 10 seconds seek connection to the internet web. i check with sniffer software and i've got this details. the problem is that when i've problem with the internet those server get frizzzzzzz. on those servers running... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Internet DNS Server with Sun

Hi all. I have one Sun Server T2000, then i want to running DNS service in that. So I don't know what's cPanel program which can help me manage my DNS server. Webmin is included in Solaris 10 - but i think that it's not enough flexible for my management. Anyone can help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quan0509
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Can not access Linux server over the Internet

hi i have linux server connected to internet through a switch/router. i have opened a port on the router and i am able to connect to the server if iptables is off. but when it is on i cant. i want to create a rule in iptables so that it accepts packets coming from a particular datacard. it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Regarding connecting to internet from RHEL 5 server

Dear All, I have a RHEL 5 server of 64 bit . I have disabled the firewalls and added the name server also in resolv.conf. I want to connect to internet inorder to link the machine with Linux Network. # I could not connect to any website from this server for ex ping google.com is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/UNIX Server won't connect to Internet

I know nothing about Linux/Unix. The fact that it is Linux/Unix is what someone told me the server is. It has been set up with the work stations in my home and would connect to the internet (DSL) and work with the other stations. We now have an actual office that does not have DSL, but rather has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BgDunbar
2 Replies

8. Programming

Arduino Project: iPhone to HM-10 BLE to NB-IoT Shield to NB-IoT Network to Internet to Linux Server

This post describes a "work in progress" project I started today. Here is the High Level Overview: Currently, this project sits on my desk as an Arduino UNO (on the bottom), an NB-IoT Shield (sandwiched in the middle), a Sensor Shield (on top) with a HM-10 BLE Module (in the little... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
13 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)