Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to print a text file in landscape Post 23316 by Jimbo on Thursday 20th of June 2002 06:18:56 PM
Old 06-20-2002
Each of those options cause the lp command to generate an appropriate escape sequence to the printer to change something about the setup, such as page orientation, font, maximum lines per page, horizontal spacing increment, vertical spacing increment, etc.

Typically, landscape reports involve lines up to 132 characters wide, which is why we have to switch it to the smaller font. Beyond that, you can use "landwide" which is even smaller font and can handle at least 160 characters wide.
Jimbo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I print reports that are landscape

I print on an HP Laserjet 5si and HP 8000 Laserjet. We print reports in landscape and when the reports are printed the font size is too big and some of the report is cut off. Is there any other options that I could try to use to correct this. The printers are set up correctly. I just need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skammer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

landscape print in Liunx

Hello All, I have been looking for a way to print a text file in landscape format with out sucess. I have also looked at thread post by yxiao. but this does not work for me. Any help would be greatful. I have redhat 7.2 and conneted to an HP 4100N printer. THANKS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print only certain lines from a text file

Hi all, I have a text file and I want to clean up the file by only print those lines start with the date. Is there anyway I can do that?  Thanks CT (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CamTu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing an xml file in landscape

Hey all, This is probably a stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer I need anywhere. I have an XML file that I need to be able to print in landscape because the text goes off the page when I try to print in portrait. I can't find a way to do this using lp. I understand, from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaristBrandi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text from a file and print text and one previous line too

Hi, Please let me know how to find text and print text and its previous line. Please don't get irritated few days back I asked text and next line. I am using HP-UX 11.11 Thanks for your help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print each paragraph in a text file into excel file

Hi, I have a below text file, which needs to be printed into attached excel file. Please help me. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Xml file and print the values into the text file in columnwise?

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
postplot(1)							   User Commands						       postplot(1)

NAME
postplot - PostScript translator for plot(4B) graphics files SYNOPSIS
postplot [-c num] [-f name] [-m num] [-n num] [-o list] [-p mode] [-w num] [-x num] [-y num] [filename]... /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postplot DESCRIPTION
The postplot filter translates plot(1B) graphics filenames into PostScript and writes the results on the standard output. If no filenames are specified, or if - is one of the input filenames, the standard input is read. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c num Print num copies of each page. By default, only one copy is printed. -f name Print text using font name. Any PostScript font can be used, although the best results will be obtained only with constant width fonts. The default font is Courier. -m num Magnify each logical page by the factor num. Pages are scaled uniformly about the origin which, by default, is located at the center of each page. The default magnification is 1.0. -n num Print num logical pages on each piece of paper, where num can be any positive integer. By default, num is set to 1. -o list Print pages whose numbers are given in the comma-separated list. The list contains single numbers N and ranges N1 - N2. A miss- ing N1 means the lowest numbered page, a missing N2 means the highest. -p mode Print filenames in either portrait or landscape mode. Only the first character of mode is significant. The default mode is land- scape. -w num Set the line width used for graphics to num points, where a point is approximately 1/72 of an inch. By default, num is set to 0 points, which forces lines to be one pixel wide. -x num Translate the origin num inches along the positive x axis. The default coordinate system has the origin fixed at the center of the page, with positive x to the right and positive y up the page. Positive num moves everything right. The default offset is 0.0 inches. -y num Translate the origin num inches along the positive y axis. Positive num moves everything up the page. The default offset is 0.0. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: filename The graphics filename to be translated EXIT STATUS
The following exit value is returned: 0 filename(s) were successfully processed. FILES
/usr/lib/lp/postscript/forms.ps /usr/lib/lp/postscript/postplot.ps /usr/lib/lp/postscript/ps.requests ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWlps | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
download(1), dpost(1), plot(1B), postdaisy(1), postdmd(1), postio(1), postmd(1), postprint(1), postreverse(1), plot(4B), attributes(5) NOTES
The default line width is too small for write-white print engines, such as the one used by the PS-2400. SunOS 5.11 17 Jun 1992 postplot(1)