Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Getting day from a date...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting day from a date... Post 23293 by yeheyaansari on Thursday 20th of June 2002 09:47:19 AM
Old 06-20-2002
MySQL Getting day from a date...

Hi,

I have a date input in MMDDYYYY format..
I have to give the day (whether that DD is sunday/monday...)
Is there any command for it...
Or do I have to write a script for that...

Thanks in Advance
Yeheya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date - 1 day

Hi, I have been trying just about every unix command to come up with yesterday's date (today's date - 1). I have seen all of the help on this forum, and none of it seems to work for me here. We are using Sun Solaris 9 Unix. I am using this script to create a .txt file with ftp commands that I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfedak
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting date -1 day not using GNU date

It's easy as pie to get the date minus one day on opensolaris: date -d "-1 day" +"%Y%m%d"run this command on our crappy Solaris 10 machines however (which I'm guessing doesn't have GNU date running on it) and you get: date: illegal option -- d date: illegal option -- 1 date: illegal option --... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Day before yesterday's date

Hello All, I am writing a script in Sun Solaris I want the date for "day before yesterday", i got the yesterday's date by this command TZ=GMT+24 date +%b" "%d. Please suggest me some code to get the date for day before yesterday (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date to Day in loop

Hi All, I have a file in the following format.I need to pick up 25th field which is a date and convert it into a day and add it as a field in the file. "AAGENAS,PEARL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

7. AIX

Need to get the next day's date of the user entered date

I need to get the next day's date of the user entered date for example: Enter date (yyyy/mm/yy): 2013/10/08I need to get the next day's date of the user entered date Desired Output: 2013/10/09Though there are ways to achieve this is Linux or Unix environment (date command) ,I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpm120
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date minus 1 day

Hi the below code is failing i am trying to generate do the following: 2014-10-22 11:26:00 (Substract 24 hrs) should produce 2014-10-21 11:26:00 I need the same formatting below because that gets inputted into code for an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samuel12
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to minus one day from a date given

Hello Folks, I have a variable output holding date as below - output = "20141220" I need to extract a day out of it and store it in another variable i.e. something similar to below - output1=20141219" and if the month is changing i.e. date in on 31st or 1st it should be taken care of "date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace date in file every day with current date

I Have text like XXX_20190908.csv.gz need to replace Only date in this format with current date every day Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamasani1991
1 Replies
CAL(1)								   User Commands							    CAL(1)

NAME
cal - display a calendar SYNOPSIS
cal [options] [[[day] month] year] DESCRIPTION
cal displays a simple calendar. If no arguments are specified, the current month is displayed. OPTIONS
-1, --one Display single month output. (This is the default.) -3, --three Display prev/current/next month output. -s, --sunday Display Sunday as the first day of the week. -m, --monday Display Monday as the first day of the week. -j, --julian Display Julian dates (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -y, --year Display a calendar for the current year. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help screen and exit. PARAMETERS
A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: cal 89 will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month (1 - 12) and year. Three parameters denote the day (1-31), month and year, and the day will be highlighted if the calendar is displayed on a terminal. If no parameters are specified, the current month's calendar is displayed. A year starts on Jan 1. The first day of the week is determined by the locale. The Gregorian Reformation is assumed to have occurred in 1752 on the 3rd of September. By this time, most countries had recognized the ref- ormation (although a few did not recognize it until the early 1900's). Ten days following that date were eliminated by the reformation, so the calendar for that month is a bit unusual. HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The cal command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 CAL(1)