Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users VI hogging system resources??? Post 23263 by auswipe on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 03:46:21 PM
Old 06-19-2002
I have seen a similiar problem in elvis (vi clone) when I had been editing a document and got disconnected from the system. I log back in and start again and elvis is going nuts. I don't know why. Kill elvis and delete the elvis/vi temp related file and it is all good.

I would look for any vi temp files and eliminate them if they exist.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Resources?

I am running a C program on a SCO box. There are multiple users on using the system resources. My problem is when using fprintfs in the program. I am writing to a log every thing I read in from a file after doing some formatting. I write out to the log with the fprintfs in groupings like 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwolfe
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for utility to monitor system resources

Hi Community, I'm looking for a linux based utility for monitoring following system resources 1. Memory 2. CPU Usage I know there are plenty freewares which poll the data and print in form of html pages. For eg. MRTG, Novel's Linux Monitoring tools etc. But my requirement is deviated a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilgurwara
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Xorg is taking System Resources.

Hi All, I am facing System Speed problem.i saw in top command Xorg process was taking most of the time 20% of CPU and Memory.How to make it normal. Currently i am using AMD Athlon 64 HT technology processor(Socket 939) 512 DDR1 RAM Nvidia 5200 GeForce 128 MB Graphic card. i need help in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
2 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)