Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Protect a tar file with a password!! Post 23223 by geoquest on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 03:38:29 AM
Old 06-19-2002
Question Protect a tar file with a password!!

Hi there,

I just want to know if there's anyway to protect any tar file with a password that requierd when somebody want to extract that tar.

thanks in advance

regards,
Abdulkarim

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password protect a file

I have created a PHP page that I use to clean files on my machine. I would like to leave the file there but I want to password protect it so that I am the only one that can run it from the shell. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. -Cam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perryl7
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create and pw protect .tar files

Ok here at work I have been charged with finding a way to create a password protect .tar files from the command line. Now i have yet to actully sit down and learn UNIX yet, but that is one of my next todo's. Anyway my questions is I have been surfing in search of a solution and the closest answer... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clovell
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar with password protect

Hello All, i work with backup, The below script runs and tar the user specified dir and put it in a backup machine. can any one help me to modify this in such a was that the tar file generated can be given a users specific password so that it can have high security. KINDLY LET ME... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip and password protect non-interactively

I'm wondering if there is a way to zip a file and password protect it non-interactively. zip -e will prompt for a password but I don't want a prompt. This needs to be done automatically as part of a shell script. I'm using the zip command because the will be unzipped by a Windows machine. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: savage66
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

PAssword protect uploaded files

Hi, Is it possible to make sure/test that all uploaded files to my FTP will be of .RAR format (that's easy) but also password protected? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saariko
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protect a zip file

Hi, I'm working on Solaris 9 and i need to unzip a password protected zip, which i can do using zip -Ppassword filename however when i have done what i need to do with the file is to zip the file back up with a password. Zip on my system is version 2.3 and does not support this? How can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is it possible to password protect directories in linux?

Hi, I am using Red Hat OS 5.0, is there any way that i can password protect directories. I know i can change permission so that no other user can access the content, but sometimes in my office environment i need to share vnc terminal with other people from my login itself. So i want that if user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

How to encrypt / password protect big Linux file?

Hello, i have around 20 backup files tar.gz with sensitive data. The sizes of these files are from around 200MB to around 20GB I want to secure these files so no one can read, use its contents. only me the method of encrypting, password protecting them should be fast, so for example in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protect script

Is there a way to have a user be prompted for a password to open a file? I am trying to protect a bash script from being changed. Thank you :). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)