Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stupid filename - can't delete it Post 23174 by Kevin Pryke on Tuesday 18th of June 2002 04:10:09 AM
Old 06-18-2002
Try

rm -- -s-c.log

the -- should stop it reading the -s as options to the rm command

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Don't hate me because I'm stupid...

Hi all, I don't know the first thing about Unix, but I would like to learn. I would like to know what the difference between Linux and Unix is, and where I can obtain a copy of either. Thanks :o (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThisIsNewToMe
8 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I can't delete some files

I've been trying to delete a file with a space in it like this: Nothing 1.jpg I can't copy/delete it or anything like that.I've tried "Nothing_1.jpg" but that didn't work.Anyone know how to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DISTURBED
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't delete the user from command line

Hi All, I try from command line to delete a user (Solaris8) and I get the following error: UX: userdel: ERROR: Cannot update system files - loggin can not be deleted. Any suggestions will be helpful. The root (/) file system has enough free space. Regards, Slava (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete filename with month -2

KSH - I've got a script that is generating a number of log files like this: y=`date +"%y"` m=`date +"%m"` $LOG_DIR/tuscprof_tbl_$y$m.log I only want to keep the current 2 months' worth of files (current month and prior month). So I'm trying to come up with a way to delete any that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dstinsman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete numbers in a filename

I have some files where numbers are part of like eg 1add1.txt 23sub41.txt etc I want to remove numbers from the filenames(whereever it may be). I used echo `ls *.txt | sed -e "s///"` But its removing first digits like 1add1.txt becomes add1.txt My intention is to make 1add1.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: villain41
3 Replies
delete(n)							    [incr Tcl]								 delete(n)

NAME
delete - delete things in the interpreter SYNOPSIS
delete option ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
The delete command is used to delete things in the interpreter. It is implemented as an ensemble, so extensions can add their own options and extend the behavior of this command. By default, the delete command handles the destruction of namespaces. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: delete class name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] classes called name. This deletes all objects in the class, and all derived classes as well. If an error is encountered while destructing an object, it will prevent the destruction of the class and any remaining objects. To destroy the entire class without regard for errors, use the "delete namespace" command. delete object name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] objects called name. An object is deleted by invoking all destructors in its class hierarchy, in order from most- to least-specific. If all destructors are successful, data associated with the object is deleted and the name is removed as a command from the interpreter. If the access command for an object resides in another namespace, then its qualified name can be used: delete object foo::bar::x If an error is encountered while destructing an object, the delete command is aborted and the object remains alive. To destroy an object without regard for errors, use the "rename" command to destroy the object access command. delete namespace name ?name...? Deletes one or more namespaces called name. This deletes all commands and variables in the namespace, and deletes all child names- paces as well. When a namespace is deleted, it is automatically removed from the import lists of all other namespaces. KEYWORDS
namespace, proc, variable, ensemble itcl 3.0 delete(n)