Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell interpretation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell interpretation Post 22962 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of June 2002 01:06:01 PM
Old 06-13-2002
The shell spawns a subshell to run the command. The subshell creates an environment variable called variable1 and gives it the value qwerty. Then it runs the ls | sort pipeline. If instead of "ls |sort" you had run "env" or "printenv" you would have seen the new variable. But the original shell's environment remains untouched.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

2. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No Space Message Interpretation

Hi, I get the message NOTICE HTFS :No Space on dev hd (1/104), What does (1/104) mean? Is there any link, I can get material on understanding unix message log? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scomrade
4 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris versions interpretation

Hi What means Solaris 10 5/09 and Solaris 10 10/09, I mean the suffix 5/09 and 10/09 ? thx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negating shell interpretation

I'm writing a Korn script but am having trouble because the shell interprets the asterisk in this case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this so that grep takes in STDIN without the interpretation? line="30 09 * * 1-4 /home/user01/bin/start" echo "$line" | grep 'start' (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprucio
16 Replies

6. AIX

lspath output interpretation

On my VIo I see the following for my disks: $ lspath | grep hdisk6 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200600a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200700a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi2 200600a0b82193f8,4000000000000 Failed hdisk6 fscsi2 200700a0b82193f8,4000000000000 $ lspath |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Interpretation of Ping behaviour

hi, working on Solaris 10. need your help on ping behaviour that I encountered. I ping from source to destination -bash-3.2# ping -s -t 128 10.10.10.200 PING 10.10.10.200: 56 data bytes <===== stops here for 2 minutues before getting reply back 64 bytes from 10.10.10.200:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghostdog74
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpretation of UNIX command

what does the below do. echo * | xargs ls | wc –l echo * - Output a string comprising the name of each file in the working directory, with each name separated by a space. xargs ls - construct argument list command wc -l - it will pipe the output to the wc command, which will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houmingc
4 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)