Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix Post 22931 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of June 2002 08:28:55 AM
Old 06-13-2002
Actually, when a file has zero names, the space it consumes still shows up in df (and on HP-UX, bdf). We have this situation at least once a week on both HP-UX and SunOS. df reports 100% space used but du can't find the culprit. That must be what you're think of, it's du that can't see files with zero names.

Another solution by the way, is lsof. It can tell you which processes are using the filesystem.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
SETQUOTA(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       SETQUOTA(8)

NAME
setquota - set disk quotas SYNOPSIS
setquota [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] name block-softlimit block-hardlimit inode-softlimit inode-hardlimit -a | filesys- tem... setquota [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] [ -p protoname ] name -a | filesystem... setquota -b [ -rm ] [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] -a | filesystem... setquota -t [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] block-grace inode-grace -a | filesystem... setquota -T [ -u | -g | -P ] [ -F quotaformat ] name block-grace inode-grace -a | filesystem... DESCRIPTION
setquota is a command line quota editor. The filesystem, user/group/project name and new quotas for this filesystem can be specified on the command line. Note that if a number is given in the place of a user/group/project name it is treated as an UID/GID/project ID. -r, --remote Edit also remote quota use rpc.rquotad on remote server to set quota. This option is available only if quota tools were compiled with enabled support for setting quotas over RPC. -m, --no-mixed-pathnames Currently, pathnames of NFSv4 mountpoints are sent without leading slash in the path. rpc.rquotad uses this to recognize NFSv4 mounts and properly prepend pseudoroot of NFS filesystem to the path. If you specify this option, setquota will always send paths with a leading slash. This can be useful for legacy reasons but be aware that quota over RPC will stop working if you are using new rpc.rquotad. -F, --format=quotaformat Perform setting for specified format (ie. don't perform format autodetection). Possible format names are: vfsold Original quota format with 16-bit UIDs / GIDs, vfsv0 Quota format with 32-bit UIDs / GIDs, 64-bit space usage, 32-bit inode usage and limits, vfsv1 Quota format with 64-bit quota limits and usage, rpc (quota over NFS), xfs (quota on XFS filesystem) -u, --user Set user quotas for named user. This is the default. -g, --group Set group quotas for named group. -P, --project Set project quotas for named project. -p, --prototype=protoname Use quota settings of user, group or project protoname to set the quota for the named user, group or project. --always-resolve Always try to translate user / group / project name to uid / gid / project ID even if the name is composed of digits only. -b, --batch Read information to set from stdin (input format is name block-softlimit block-hardlimit inode-softlimit inode-hardlimit ). Empty lines and lines starting with # are ignored. -c, --continue-batch If parsing of an input line in batch mode fails, continue with processing the next line. -t, --edit-period Set grace times for users/groups/projects. Times block-grace and inode-grace are specified in seconds. -T, --edit-times Alter times for individual user/group/project when softlimit is enforced. Times block-grace and inode-grace are specified in seconds or can be string 'unset'. -a, --all Go through all filesystems with quota in /etc/mtab and perform setting. block-softlimit and block-hardlimit are interpreted as multiples of kibibyte (1024 bytes) blocks by default. Symbols K, M, G, and T can be appended to numeric value to express kibibytes, mebibytes, gibibytes, and tebibytes. inode-softlimit and inode-hardlimit are interpreted literally. Symbols k, m, g, and t can be appended to numeric value to express multiples of 10^3, 10^6, 10^9, and 10^12 inodes. To disable a quota, set the corresponding parameter to 0. To change quotas for several filesystems, invoke once for each filesystem. Only the super-user may edit quotas. FILES
aquota.user or aquota.group quota file at the filesystem root (version 2 quota, non-XFS filesystems) quota.user or quota.group quota file at the filesystem root (version 1 quota, non-XFS filesystems) /etc/mtab mounted filesystem table SEE ALSO
edquota(8), quota(1), quotactl(2), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) SETQUOTA(8)