Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NOQUEUE: low on space ( have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) Post 22930 by Perderabo on Thursday 13th of June 2002 08:21:16 AM
Old 06-13-2002
First, a moderator's note: I have merged that second thread into this one...

Dolly, I have never heard of a .CPR file before either in the root directory or elsewhere. This is the problem with your line of questioning. You have put so much stuff into the root filesystem that you now have problems. And we don't know how to help you. I would hope the only the root user can put files in /. It must have been you or someone else with the root password who created that file.

Ideally, the root filesystem should not be changing very much. It should be os stuff only. There are a few text files in /etc and so on that will be updated as the system is used. But these should be small and the size of root should not change very much. Putting /usr under the root filesystem is ok, it too should be os stuff and should not change very much. But putting /var there is a massive problem. Users can create files under /var. That's why /var really should have been separate. I see that Solaris 8 is doing this by default. Still I don't think it's a good idea.

Mu guess is that most of your problem will be under /var, and I would start there. But whoever created a file /.CPR could be dumping files anywhere else under root. Cleaning this up could be a lot of work. Rather than trim .CPR, I would move it.

Log files, and wtmpx is one, will grow until you trim them. Since you're in a crisis, I would just
"cp /dev/null wtmpx" for now.

Here is one thing that I do to find where my space went...
cd /var
du -sk * | sort -n

The lines with the big numbers are where to look first. In your case, it looks like /var/run is a separate filesystem, so ignore that one for now.

And this was only an example... I might next do
cd /var/spool
du -sk * | sort -n
as I track this down.

Also, you give a limited list of files rather than * when you run the du.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail[5129]: NOQUEUE: low on space

sendmail: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) We're getting this message on our Solaris (Apache/1.3.19) server. Can anyone give me an idea of what to look at? I'd really appreciate it! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sitemouse
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mqueue !!!

I keep having this msg on my SunOS console : Jun 29 08:57:40 bersimis sendmail: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 0, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) I tried to make some space by deleting the files in it, but the msg came back ... Any tips ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wingman21
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send Mail NOQUEUE low on space

Need help to resolve this message "NOQUEUE: low on space (have 18, SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue)" Attached capture file from server HPUX 10.2 Ace root@PS01 : Aug 13 18:27:30 SANG last message repeated 7 times Aug 13 18:27:45 PS01 sendmail: NOQUEUE: low on space (have 18,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: real-chess
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Daemon 101

I think I have an issue almost like Sammy_T's. I want to make a piece of code run as a daemon. I have some java, along with it 15 classpath's converted to a shell script that I can "runmyjavap". The script is just what I need to run after compiling it: #!/bin/sh java -classpath : ...(from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Miller_K
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/VAR/SPOOL/MAIL question

Hi, We have all the user account in a home direcory where their mail is stored and retrieved by email clients. We do however have /var/spool/mail with all the user accounts in it as well Our sendmail.cf is configured to use /var/spool/mqueue as the queue so .what is /var/spool/mail being used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/spool/mail

Hi, How can i get my mail on either /var/spool/mail or /var/mail? I use mail and sendmail command to send mail. But everytime I send mail it comes to my outlook inbox and when I check with mail command I get the message "No mail for siba". (Note siba is my user Id.) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent

Hello, I have a bunch of cron jobs in the crontab. For some reason mail from the cron jobs started going to /var/spool/mqueue instead of being sent. Does anyone know why mail from cron jobs would go to the queue instead of being sent? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
9 Replies

8. Solaris

/var/spool/clientmqueue

Hi, solaris : 9 can we delete the files from this location /var/spool/clientmqueue . I found around 40K files lying in this location. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maooah
1 Replies

9. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

10. Solaris

/var/spool/mqueue issue

Hi guys . I have a solaris machine serving as a DNS server for my environment. Everytime I go into /var/spool/mqueue , there are an aweful lot of emails with names likes: qfqB6ChrpL006644. When I cat the file , I get the following output: H??Received: from machine.domain.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
utmpx(4)							   File Formats 							  utmpx(4)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx - utmpx and wtmpx database entry formats SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> /var/adm/utmpx /var/adm/wtmpx DESCRIPTION
The utmpx and wtmpx files are extended database files that have superseded the obsolete utmp and wtmp database files. The utmpx database contains user access and accounting information for commands such as who(1), write(1), and login(1). The wtmpx database contains the history of user access and accounting information for the utmpx database. USAGE
Applications should not access these databases directly, but should use the functions described on the getutxent(3C) manual page to inter- act with the utmpx and wtmpx databases to ensure that they are maintained consistently. FILES
/var/adm/utmpx user access and adminstration information /var/adm/wtmpx history of user access and adminstrative information SEE ALSO
getutxent(3C), wait(3C)wait.h(3HEAD) SunOS 5.10 22 Feb 1999 utmpx(4)