Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tape backup error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tape backup error Post 22855 by auswipe on Tuesday 11th of June 2002 10:15:32 PM
Old 06-11-2002
Actually, re-reading the original message I see:

Quote:
I'm trying to do a tar backup to a DDS3 tape as root:
So if Larry is really performing this as root, then the permissions shouldn't matter. The next step would be checking if particular DDS3 tape has write protection enabled.

I have a DDS2 4mm 120 meter tape sitting in front of me and there is a write protect tab that can be switched on and off.

Stranger things have happened...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

Can someone please.... help me how to install tape backup I am using FreeBSD Unix version running on I386 PC box. My IDE tape device is made by HP (Colorado 5GB). Thank you in advance! (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackpotp
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

I have a script which runs overnight to backup a database into a tar file. I then gzip the file and send it off to a tape device. The command I'm using for the tape backup is tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /var/dbbackup/${FILE}.gz I thought the n meant no rewind so the next file is copied to tape... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
4 Replies

3. Solaris

backup using tape

hello everybody... i need some help ... so... i need to do some backups from one solaris system and i dont know whitch is the best solution....to use tar or ufsdump...? ...and .... how can i restore files from tape if on the tape i have 2 sessions....how can i access second session....? enough... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nich007
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote tape backup

i have two main servers which are both hpux. the problem is that i only have single dat drive to use with my backup (using tar command). it always takes me alot of time to perform this activity since the backup can only be done one at a time. there are other hpux box with a dat drive attached on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

8. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

9. AIX

Backup on Tape

Hi, I am very new to AIX, i have a development and a production server with AIX 6.1. I am using following command to backup my system /usr/bin/mksysb '-m' '-V' '-i' /dev/rmt0 You can what i have in my root volume group in the atached file and and you can also see the backup information of... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanucit
14 Replies

10. Solaris

How to backup when there is no tape available?

Hi All! Letīs say there are a few solaris servers connected to a NetApp storage device, but with no tape library or tape device attached to none of them. Assuming the O.S. is installed on the root disks, how to recover if the O.S. failed in one of the systems? Please share your ideas. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
13 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)