Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert text to numerical
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert text to numerical Post 22787 by Perderabo on Monday 10th of June 2002 09:39:17 PM
Old 06-10-2002
First, please don't post your question in two parts in different areas of the forum like that. Post a followup to the original post if you need to add something. I have merged your posts into a single thread.

Now as for your question, you do not need to convery a string to numeric with ksh. It should work. But it sound like you variable "duplicate" is a filename. If so, you need to read the data from the file. If the file contains a single integer you can do this:

read num < $filename

if [[ $num -gt 1 ] ; then

If I have misunderstood, print out the value to see what we're dealing with:

echo duplicate = $duplicate

and post the results as a reply in this thread.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I convert unix text to to win text?

How do I convert unix text files into readable text for windows. Dave (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nucca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert Text to Excel

I have some text data generated by a perl script and want to put it into an excel sheet. Is there a perl script that can do this for me, i.e, convert text data to excel? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pavankk
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting rows from a text file based on numerical values of a column

I have a text file where the second column is a list of numbers going from small to large. I want to extract the rows where the second column is smaller than or equal to 0.0001. My input: rs10082730 9e-08 12 46002702 rs2544081 1e-07 12 46015487 rs1425136 1e-06 7 35396742 rs2712590... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Convert

Hello, I have a text file(utf8-bom). I want convert to following format. Thank you. 1***hello 35345 test test666 test 77 ? - test666 6//77 2***ktest 765 3***john6666 net 565433 nebb I want this format. 1***hello 35345 test test666 test 77 ? - test666 6//77 2***ktest 765... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kata33
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Convert

Hello, I have a text file(utf8-bom). I want convert to following format. Thank you. 1***hello 35345 29***hello test6 380***bill33 4327***hello test6 47829***hull55 65644***hello test6 I want this format. 1***hello 35345 29***hello test6 380***bill33 4327***hello test6 2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kata33
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text to CSV

Hi Gurus I need urgent help to convert a flat log file into csv format to load into database. Log looks like: a=1 b=2 c=3 a=4 b=5 c=6 Only the values at right side of = will come into csv and it should create a new line once it receives "a" field. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandipjee
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to add portion of text to files in directory using numerical match

In the below bash I am trying to rename eachof the 3 text files in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/percent by matching the numerical portion of each file to lines 3,4, or 5 in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/analysis.txt. There will always be a match between the files. When a match is found each text file in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text to csv

Hi, Is there somebody there to post an idea on how to convert this 5 liner row to 1 liner or tab delimiter to be import to database. Here the text file format: Description: Description1 Link: https://www.google.com Date: June 2, 2018 Time: 00:07:44 Age: 1 days ago Description:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert text to columns

Hi. I need an input file of a single word pr. line converted in into a list of random pairs. i need input like this word1 word2 word3 word4 to be outputted like this: word3 word1 word2 word4 My attempt is a tedious while loop like this: nfiles=$(cat inputfile | wc -l) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BotHead
4 Replies
PX_TIMESTAMP2STRING(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    PX_TIMESTAMP2STRING(3)

NAME
PX_timestamp2string -- Convert paradox timestamp into formated string SYNOPSIS
#include <paradox.h> char * PX_timestamp2string(pxdoc_t *pxdoc, double timestamp, const char *format) DESCRIPTION
Creates a string representation of a paradox timestamp as specified in the parameter format. The timestamp must be either retrieved with PX_get_data_double(3) after calling PX_get_record(3) or by simply using the double value in the pxval_t struct as returned by PX_retrieve_record(3). A timestamp contains both time and date information. The format string contains chars which stand for certain values of the date/time. The following table lists all available characters with a meaning. All other characters are being copied unmodified to the output string. If a special character shall not be interpreted it must be preceded with a backslash. Characters and their meaning in date/time format string Character Meaning Y year, numeric, 4 digits y year, numeric, 2 digits m month, numeric n month, numeric, no leading zeroes d day of the month, numeric j T{ day of the month, numeric, no leading zeros T} H hour, numeric, 24 hour format h hour, numeric, 12 hour format G T{ hour, numeric, 24 hour format, no leading zeroes T} g T{ hour, numeric, 12 hour format, no leading zeroes T} i minutes, numeric s seconds, numeric A AM/PM a am/pm L boolean for leap year RETURN VALUE
Returns pointer to string on success and NULL on failure. SEE ALSO
PX_time2string(3), PX_date2string(3) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Uwe Steinmann uwe@steinmann.cx. PX_TIMESTAMP2STRING(3)