Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Raw vs. Filesystem?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Raw vs. Filesystem? Post 22767 by Kelam_Magnus on Monday 10th of June 2002 02:48:52 PM
Old 06-10-2002
In my environment we are going from raw to mounted filesystems for ORACLE databases as we speak.

We are upgrading to 11.i and new hardware. from K-class & V-class to Superdome and Keystone systems. In addition, we are enabling largefiles that allow for larger than 2GB files. This will decrease the amount of table spaces needed for the large Databases that we will be creating, upto 10GB, and allow for more efficient storage of databases. Also, we are going to the new 170+GB disks for our EMC SAN which are more reliable than the current 80+ GB disks.

So the decrease in performance will be offset somewhat by the OS and hardware upgrades.

And the big PRO is that we can manage the filesystems with our backup utility, NetBackup, more effciently and with greater accuracy, instead of relying on my DBAs to remember to backup their databases.

Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

About raw partition

Hi I have solaris 8 installed on Intel machine. the disk I have is IDE. I would like to know how can I create a raw partition on an IDE disk. Regards, Raja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RajaRC
2 Replies

2. AIX

Raw I/o

Is there any system call available in AIX to read the size of raw disk? If I use the command "lspv -L",it only gives size of PVs on which file system is there. I need to extract the size raw disk i.e. file system is not there on the disk. Thanks, Megha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeghaV
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I check if I have raw filesystem on unix/linux

Hello again. Please can someone tell me how can i check if my filesystem is raw on unix/linux ? Is there some file to check or something like that to be sure ? also , when i do : $ ls -l /dev/rdisk i get among other things , this also(there resides are oracle related files) : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

7. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Converting RAW Disks to Filesystem

Hi, We have a new server which has 2.7 TB RAW Disk.Outof this we want to convery 1.2 TB to filesystem and nfs mount it on one of the servers. After our activity we need to convert this back to RAW Disks. Please let me know if this is possible and the complexity involved. Regards, VN (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narayanv
1 Replies
Sys::Filesystem::Freebsd(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Sys::Filesystem::Freebsd(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Filesystem::Freebsd - Return Freebsd filesystem information to Sys::Filesystem SYNOPSIS
See Sys::Filesystem. INHERITANCE
Sys::Filesystem::Freebsd ISA Sys::Filesystem::Unix ISA UNIVERSAL METHODS
version () Return the version of the (sub)module. ATTRIBUTES
The following is a list of filesystem properties which may be queried as methods through the parent Sys::Filesystem object. fs_spec Describes the block special device or remote filesystem to be mounted. fs_file Describes the mount point for the filesystem. For swap partitions, this field should be specified as none. If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as 40. fs_vfstype Dscribes the type of the filesystem. fs_mntops Describes the mount options associated with the filesystem. fs_freq Used for these filesystems by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped. fs_passno Used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time. SEE ALSO
Sys::Filesystem, Sys::Filesystem::Unix, fstab(5) VERSION
$Id: Freebsd.pm 128 2010-05-12 13:16:44Z trevor $ AUTHOR
Nicola Worthington <nicolaw@cpan.org> - <http://perlgirl.org.uk> Jens Rehsack <rehsack@cpan.org> - <http://www.rehsack.de> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004,2005,2006 Nicola Worthington. Copyright 2009,2010 Jens Rehsack. This software is licensed under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> perl v5.10.1 2010-05-18 Sys::Filesystem::Freebsd(3pm)