Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su permission
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers su permission Post 22628 by epdgesell on Thursday 6th of June 2002 06:44:51 PM
Old 06-06-2002
Most System Admins will revoke users permissions to su to another user. If you are root you should never receive this error message.

If you are logged in as yourself and you type: su username

and still get the error message see your administrator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission help

Ok heres the situation I've been studying Solaris 8 for about 6 months now and some things click in my head but others don't. One of the things that don't click are file permissions. For example I login at work and I use the ls -l command to get a long listing of the files w/ the permissions.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission

Is it possible to set owner to a group? I need to have a group own a process, because there will be 3 diffrent persons that will start and stop this process. They can not use the same users cause och back logging. we need to know who end when a certian user start/stops processes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission?

What does the following permission indicate? -rwSr----- 1 oracle dba 1536 Nov 7 17:05 orapwRTMDB Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User permission

Hi all, I created testuser. by following command. /usr/sbin/adduser -n test -d /disk05/collections/GET/testdata/ and then set its password by following command. passwd testuser When I login to system by testuser, it enters everything is ok. The problem is how to set permission to this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Permission (I Think)

Pictures by worthamtx - Photobucket The URL is graphic view my present concern. Old partition working great sdb1 both appear on nautilus, both deliver icons to desk top. Based on the label handling of gparted results I tried following with success sudo mkdir /media/disk/data sudo chown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 77yrold
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission

Hello Whenever we want to oen any type of file by name, we must have execute perm. in each dir. mentioned in the name. I changed the dir permission using chmod to test the validity of this statement. but i still can open the file ------- any guides would be appreciable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really need help with permission changes

I dont understand why permission changes are being such a pain in the bum even after I manually changed them through properties....Anyone know what to do here because even thoguh in properties the permissions make me local admin over in the Cygwin its not working.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: okhawaja
5 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
NEWKEY(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 NEWKEY(8)

NAME
newkey -- create a new key in the publickey database SYNOPSIS
newkey -h hostname newkey -u username DESCRIPTION
The newkey utility is normally run by the network administrator on the Network Interface Service (NIS) master machine in order to establish public keys for users and super-users on the network. These keys are needed for using secure RPC or secure NFS . The newkey utility will prompt for the login password of the given username and then create a new public/secret key pair in /etc/publickey encrypted with the login password of the given user. Use of this program is not required: users may create their own keys using chkey(1). OPTIONS
-h hostname Create a new public key for the super-user at the given hostname. Prompts for the root password of the given hostname. -u username Create a new public key for the given username. Prompts for the NIS password of the given username. SEE ALSO
chkey(1), keylogin(1), publickey(5), keyserv(8) NOTES
The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same; only the name has changed. BSD
October 12, 1987 BSD