Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help on file extraction
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help on file extraction Post 2255 by Neo on Tuesday 1st of May 2001 10:29:03 PM
Old 05-01-2001
egrep -e PATTERN logfile > file

Where PATTERN is a regular expression that extracts the lines you want; logfile is the logfile, of course; and file is the same of the particular file for the user in the pattern.

All you have to do now is get a book on regular expresions and work on the syntax Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Flat File Extraction

Hi all, I'm new in the unix environment. I'm having a challenge in extracting data from a flat file and convert it to a CSV file format or I should be able to open it with MS Excel. The input data in my flat file looks like this: AV00001001155000063637143326711145412082EM SITHOLE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mthimbana
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Extraction From a File

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have to search the file with some text say "Exception". This exception word can be repeated for more then 10 times. Suppose the "Exception" word is repeated at line numbers say x=10, 50, 60, 120. Now I want to extract all the lines starting from x-5 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrangaraju
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

data extraction from xml file

I have an of xml file as shown below <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ASCII' standalone='yes' ?> <Station Index="10264" > <Number Value="237895890" /> <Position Lat="-29.5" Lon="3.5" /> <MaxDepth Value="-4939" /> <VeloLines Count="24"> <VeloLine Index="0" > <Depth... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File extraction without awk

Hello everybody, Here is my problem : I cannot find a way to extract data from a particular file and more precisely I cannot extract the result of my awk script to an external file because I am currently working on HP-UX. I would like a simple script (without awk) which asks for a date like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freyr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Extraction

Hi, I have three files as below: AA.DAT20110505063903.Z AA.DAT20110405062903.Z AA.DAT20110305061903.Z All the above files are appended with Date and timestamp in compressed format. I need to extract AA.DAT20110505063903.Z(which is the latest file) from one server and uncompress it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with file content extraction

I need to extract some content of a file. Example file abc vi abc ooooooooo bbbbbbbbb vvv 1234 5 vvv 6789 3 xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx i want to extract only the following content from file abc and store in another file say temp. 1234 5 6789 3 what should be my approach? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya_ag04
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

data extraction from a file

Hi Freinds, I have a file1.txt in the following format File1.txt I want to get 2 files from the above file filextra.txt should have the lines which are ending with "<" and remaining lines in the filecompare.txt file. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders My files are located in UNIX Server, i want to extract file_id and file_name from each file .and save it in a CSV file. How do I do that? I have folders in unix environment, directory structure is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: princetd001
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data extraction from .xml file

Hello, I'm attempting to extract 13 digit numbers beginning with 978 from a data file with the following command: awk '{ for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) if($i ~ /^978/) print $i; }' datafile > outfile This typically works. However, the new data file is an .xml file, and this command is no longer working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
6 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3) for- mat given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. AWK(1)