Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users selective tar image and dir perms Post 22530 by gfarley on Wednesday 5th of June 2002 08:01:09 AM
Old 06-05-2002
contd...

Thanks both of you for the input.

I checked the xargs point about max command line, and my backups will fit within the limit (script needs to be clearly commented though...).

So using the standard tar, it looks like I don't have many options. I started looking at GNU tar, which has a --no-recursion option and will update the thread later...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Using `tar` for a selective backup.

Hi all & anyone. I'm trying to selectively backup up some old Apache log files before they are removed from the system (Slackware box). Have created a file listing of what I want backed up ...Below is a portion of the file ./selectedbkup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar - Selecting target dir

Hi, 1 - How to select files to tar from a dir (indir) to the tar command? 2 - How to select the target directory where the files in a tar file should go to - I know that by default, tar remembers the path and restores files to that path. I am using HP-UX Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Exclude Dir with a Specific Words

So here is what I got i have these directories names app-config app-exploded conf gen logs match src target currently i do: tar -cvf file.tar conf gen logs match src target What i want to do is: tar -cvf file.tar (exclude any dir with "app" in it) How can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhartleyoh
1 Replies

4. Programming

Determining file access perms for current process

Stupid question, but is there an ANSI C stdlib function that will do this for me? I want to pass the function a path and determine if the current process can read/write/execute on the path. I suppose I can whip something up using fstat and then determining the current process's user/group IDs and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

5. Solaris

NFS server RW perms

Hi I can't write to fs "/share/nfs" shared by nfs server despite properly setting RW permissions. NFS server is configured on CentOS and Solaris10 is client. CentOS NFS Server config : -------------------------------- Entries in /etc/exports file : # cat /etc/exports /inst ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perms for Unix user

Can you describe how to give privileges to the user in normal use of your folder / home / user To be able to properly use Git and other applications of Python I've done something like chown-R myuser / home / myuser But there were some problems with Git commits.... like link unavailabe and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandrain
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar this dir excluding some files .au?

Hi all, Thanks for previous help. How to include this in script, I need to tar files which are present in /var/spool/cron/crontabs directory (used for crontab) excluding those files which are having extension .au /var/spool/cron/crontabs>>ls -ltr | grep -v .au total 438 -rw------- 1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using find for variable combination of perms

Hi, I'm trying to use find in kshell (AIX) to find all files with perms of write for other AND any execute bit set. e.g: r--r-x-w- would qualify and rw-rw--wx would qualify but ---rwxr-xr-x wouldn't qualify So far, I've been trying something like this: find . -type f -perm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanp36
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! I want to locate only dir and tar.gz

I making a script to restore apache from a configuration_backup tar. For now i want at the beginning of the script that you can make a choice to choose one of the configuration_backup tars. I use this code now: `locate /restore/configuration/configuration_backup*` But if i use this i get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyvdberg
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I create a tar file for only dir and its subdir structures??

How do I create a tar file for only dir and its subdir structures?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
4 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)