Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: su permission
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers su permission Post 22518 by siavoush on Tuesday 4th of June 2002 11:49:15 PM
Old 06-05-2002
su permission

Hi Forums,

It seems to me that I can't use "su" command. When I type "su", I get the following message:
/sbin/su - Permission denied

Am I missing any thing?

By the way I am using IRIX6.5 on a SGI computer. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Siavoush

Last edited by siavoush; 06-05-2002 at 08:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission help

Ok heres the situation I've been studying Solaris 8 for about 6 months now and some things click in my head but others don't. One of the things that don't click are file permissions. For example I login at work and I use the ls -l command to get a long listing of the files w/ the permissions.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission

Is it possible to set owner to a group? I need to have a group own a process, because there will be 3 diffrent persons that will start and stop this process. They can not use the same users cause och back logging. we need to know who end when a certian user start/stops processes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission?

What does the following permission indicate? -rwSr----- 1 oracle dba 1536 Nov 7 17:05 orapwRTMDB Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User permission

Hi all, I created testuser. by following command. /usr/sbin/adduser -n test -d /disk05/collections/GET/testdata/ and then set its password by following command. passwd testuser When I login to system by testuser, it enters everything is ok. The problem is how to set permission to this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Permission (I Think)

Pictures by worthamtx - Photobucket The URL is graphic view my present concern. Old partition working great sdb1 both appear on nautilus, both deliver icons to desk top. Based on the label handling of gparted results I tried following with success sudo mkdir /media/disk/data sudo chown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 77yrold
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission

Hello Whenever we want to oen any type of file by name, we must have execute perm. in each dir. mentioned in the name. I changed the dir permission using chmod to test the validity of this statement. but i still can open the file ------- any guides would be appreciable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really need help with permission changes

I dont understand why permission changes are being such a pain in the bum even after I manually changed them through properties....Anyone know what to do here because even thoguh in properties the permissions make me local admin over in the Cygwin its not working.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: okhawaja
5 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)