Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Password error Post 22491 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 4th of June 2002 05:34:55 PM
Old 06-04-2002
Not sure this will help or not. Could not find adduser in any of the man pages but did find useradd.

Redhat Docs shows useradd only adds an account name and then you must set the password.

The other info I found didn't show useradd at all but other utilities which also don't seem to set the password
Linux.Ctyme.com

Hopefully someone with more Redhat/Linux experience will post a more helpful answer.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR : Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

Hello, when I try to connect to a remote machine through SSH username@host I am getting the error message Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). Can any one tell me what is the problem. the key is added in the remote machines authorized_keys file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

3. Web Development

Error when trying to set Admin password in MySQL

I'm trying to set an admin password for MySQL using the following command: $ /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p new_password But, I get the following error message? /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access denied for user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abder-Rahman
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP password expire error

Hi, I am using sftp in batch script for which all configuration for public/private keys are done and it works fine without asking a password. No issues till this point. Now I the problem I have is that if the password expires/someone changes the authentication keys at reote server then the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolwade
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp shell script - Password read error.

Hi, I have script which does the sftp function. In the script in one place it able to read the password from file and other place files with below error. warning: has much more security than supplying the password in the clear warning: on the command line. Failed to get password: File... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

password protect a CSV file: better solution than ZIP password?

Hi We send *.csv with sensitive data to our customers. Our customers open those files with Excel. A new requirement is that we password protect those CSV files. I thought to pack them with ZIP and assign a password to the archive. But Solaris 10 can't encrypt ZIP files. $ zip -P... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get rid off Password expiry error message when connecting to sql in script?

I am connecting to sql databases through shell script. Databases that i am connecting will need password change every 60 days. This is according to our security policy and cannot be changed. But this is creating problem when connecting to Databases through shell script . To connect to oracle DB we... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in spawn and expect for password

Code Broken!! "cod generator ip=$loja" expect -c " # set timeout -1 set timeout 18 spawn scp -C /etc/samba/arkivo.sh root@$loja:/etc/samba/ expect { -re "*yes/no*"{ send "yes\r" exp_continue } -re "*password:*" { send "senha\r" expect \"*#*\"}} ssh root@$loja expect \"*password:*\"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrenechen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pass a password: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

howdy, so I'm make a plugin work for Nagios, and the commandline is: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mssql -H MySQLServerName -u MySqlAccountName -p MyPassword(#XXXXX -d MyDatabaseName it is barfing with: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' Thoughts? Do I have to wrap something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
2 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
PASSWD(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - the password file DESCRIPTION
/etc/passwd contains one line for each user account, with seven fields delimited by colons (":"). These fields are: o login name o optional encrypted password o numerical user ID o numerical group ID o user name or comment field o user home directory o optional user command interpreter The encrypted password field may be blank, in which case no password is required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/passwd file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is blank. If the password field is a lower-case "x", then the encrypted password is actually stored in the shadow(5) file instead; there must be a corresponding line in the /etc/shadow file, or else the user account is invalid. If the password field is any other string, then it will be treated as an encrypted password, as specified by crypt(3). The comment field is used by various system utilities, such as finger(1). The home directory field provides the name of the initial working directory. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $HOME environmental variable. The command interpreter field provides the name of the user's command language interpreter, or the name of the initial program to execute. The login program uses this information to set the value of the $SHELL environmental variable. If this field is empty, it defaults to the value /bin/sh. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow optional encrypted password file /etc/passwd- Backup file for /etc/passwd. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
crypt(3), getent(1), getpwnam(3), login(1), passwd(1), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), shadow(5), su(1), sulogin(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 PASSWD(5)