Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unknown recipient when using metasend Post 22413 by thehoghunter on Monday 3rd of June 2002 01:52:01 PM
Old 06-03-2002
It could be that your servers use one central mail server to send email out and that all other servers are set up to send only. This would be done for security reasons.

If an email sent from user joe from System A goes to user jack -> on system B it may actually go to system E first as a central Email server. Then system E sends it on to system B. B rejects it due to a bad "To:" address and system E tries unsuccessfully to send it back to system A. System A rejects it and system E should then send it to whoever gets Postmaster mail.

A -> jack@B.us.com -> E -> jack@b.us.com <-> B (rejects back - no such user)
E -> joe@A.us.com <-> A (rejects - does not accept email)
E -> postmaster@E.us.com (mail undeliverable)

This may be what you are seeing - and then again, maybe not.
HTH
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail recipient issue

I can send external emails from one of my unix boxes but can no longer send internal emails, i have used mailx -v to see what's going on and it seems there is a problem with the RCPT TO part of the log It seems to add name@nsmail1.mydmn.gov.uk When it should be just name@mydmn.gov.uk The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supadid
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about attachment with metasend command

Hi, I used the metasend command with ( -n -f ) option to send an email with an attachment. (-m ''application/zip" ) Normally it works for text files, zip files and excel files. Suddenly, a user attached an excel file and I received two emails. The subject is ' ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: egckhad
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send an attachment with metasend

Hi, How to send an attachment of which the name contains the space. Following is the command I tried. metasend -b -s "test subject" -F "test@yahoo.com" -t "test@test.com" -f "test.txt" -m "text/plain" -n -f "test 123.txt" -m "application/xls" If the file name contains no space,... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx recipient restriction

maybe a simple question, but i've looked around and not been able to find anything. is there a restriction on how many recipients can be used in a single mailx command? whether it's a numeric restriction or a size restriction (like 256k for the whole recipient parameter). thanks a lot. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris32680
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx Recipient and Name Script

Hi To All, I have a file with email addresses, most of which have names associated with them, it looks like this: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8255/94731317.th.jpg I am trying to come up with a script to use mailx (or anything else really) to send an email to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slicker
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure Recipient Restrictions in Postfix

Hi all We need to block our users sending emails to specific email addresses. At the moment, recipient restrictions is not enabled in our Postfix relay server so all messages submitted from our Exchange server are accepted and relayed. See entries in our main.cf file: ### Recipient... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbdevilliers
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about metasend

Hi, I got a problem in using metasend if the file name contains 'testL@test.com -t test2@test.com -f test.txt -m text/plain --Fail-- /usr/local/bin/metasend -b -s "test subject" -F testL@test.com -t test2@test.com -f test.txt -m text/plain it showed the error "set: No match." Ivan (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Programming

Mailx recipient from mysql database

Dear All, Can I make Mailx to read recipient address from a mysql database? I already tried emailing with bash script: SUBJECT="TEST" export EMAIL_ADDRESS=`mysql -uroot -pabcde smsd -e "SELECT email FROM recipient"` mysql -uroot -pabcde smsd -e "SELECT ID, SenderName, Body FROM inbox" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx recipient from mysql database

Dear All, Can I make Mailx to read recipient address from a mysql database? I already tried emailing with bash script: SUBJECT="TEST" export EMAIL_ADDRESS=`mysql -uroot -pabcde smsd -e "SELECT email FROM recipient"` mysql -uroot -pabcde smsd -e "SELECT ID, SenderName, Body FROM inbox" |... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
14 Replies
pygm2n(1)						    Python Gateway mail to news 						 pygm2n(1)

NAME
pygm2n - Python Gateway mail to news SYNOPSIS
pygm2n -n newsgroups [ -s newsserver ] [ -h ] DESCRIPTION
IMPORTANT: this man page is to be continued. The Whole pyg gateway is in devel. state. try -h option for more detailed option. pygm2n reads from stdin an email, sending it to newsgroups, a comma separated list without spaces of newsgroup names (at least one), rfc799 compliant. If pygm2n reads from stdin a sigle line starting with /, it is considered an absolute path to a single-email mailbox, so pygm2n will open and read it. Note that now pyg can't read a real mailbox, with many emails. If you give it in input, pyg will post the whole mailbox as a single email. EXAMPLES
There is some documetation in /urs/share/doc/pyg I created mailgate user (moderator of local.moderated ng). Subscribe to a list with this user (or simply email one message to). Every email posted to this user will send to newsgroups, in its .procmailrc I've put something like: :0 bh * ^From *mailinglist-request@lists.debian.org | $HOME/pygm2n -n local.debian.mailinglist AUTHORS
Cosimo Alfarano <alfarano@students.cs.unibo.it> BUGS
Boh. send any bug, advice or opinion to the author, please. Sun Sep 12 18:10:00 CEST 2000 pygm2n(1)