Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab Environments
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Crontab Environments Post 2241 by SmartJuniorUnix on Tuesday 1st of May 2001 11:27:26 AM
Old 05-01-2001
Question

I have a user trying to execute a command,in crontab, which requires certain envrionmental variables to be set. He is using tcsh on a Solaris 7 system. I have created a hack by doing the following in the crontab entry...

0 0-23 * * * rsh localhost -l user /path/command

This doesn't seem secure to me.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

SmartJuniorUnix

[Edited by SmartJuniorUnix on 05-01-2001 at 01:52 PM]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting environments

Hello, How can I setup environments in a bash and tcsh? I need to setup some paths and classpath. thanks xNYx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xNYx
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Declaring variable environments in .cshrc

Hi All, I have been trying to set variable environment for the JAVA_HOME but it doesn' work. The path set is as follows setenv JAVA_HOME "/usr/local/jdk1.3" setenv PATH $JAVA_HOME/bin setenv CLASSPATH ${JAVA_HOME}/lib/tools.jar:{JAVA_HOME}/lib/dt.jar can anyone suggest Me where am I and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_sharda
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix environments to fiddle around with

I'm a newbie and I was wondering if there were any public unix environments on the internet I could telnet to and fiddle around with?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

4. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Unix environments for MS Windows

We often get questions about how to provide a Unix environment under Windows. Mircosoft has several OS's that collectively are called Windows. Most users are running a recent Microsoft OS with an NT kernel, usually Windows XP. The solutions in this thread may not work on very old Microsoft... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Description of Environments Supported By....

Im a learner on the unix/linux OS,i wanted a description of the main environments supported by the unix/linux environment. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zizu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on Rehosting the Environments.

Hello All, We were planning to re host or change the environments (DEV,UAT & Prod) from one server to a different or new servers on a different host. So we have Informatica, Oracle software installed on our existing servers, since we upgraded the Informatica a couple of times there were many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating the task in two environments

Hi all, I have a task which need to be done in two test environment.both the script does the same work.i am plannig to automate that like writing a perl program to execute the script in parallel in both the test environment.i am able to call the unix script from the using in both the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pals70423
3 Replies

8. AIX

Script to validate between two environments

Hi, I trust that you are well - I'm a bit new into AIX and I've been assigned a task to write a script that will always validate between our two Prod (Prod A and Prod B) environments to confirm which prod we live at. The two environments are exact replicas and this check I need to put in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twaggzk
5 Replies

9. Linux

Switch Desktop Environments via Terminal

Hi All, Does anyone know if it's possible to switch desktop environments via the terminal? I'm writing a script to install Cinnamon on Ubuntu and I would then like to remove unity but at the moment I have to ask the user to log out, log in with cinnamon and then continue the script to remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
1 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for comments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow List of users allowed to use crontab /var/cron/deny List of users prohibited from using crontab /var/cron/tabs Directory for personal crontab files DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') with the exception that the dangerous variant of calling crontab without a file name in the first form of the command is not allowed by this implementation. The pseudo-filename '-' must be specified to read from standard input. The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD