Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What user runs cron?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What user runs cron? Post 22377 by michieka on Sunday 2nd of June 2002 10:32:02 PM
Old 06-02-2002
ok thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Old cron entry still runs, but shouldnt

Hello, I'm running OSF1 V4.0 alpha. We used to have a job running from the cron at 6am everyday. We have removed the job from the crontab file, but the job still runs at 6am everyday. The job was in the root's crontab file. I cant figure out why this job is still running after we removed it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

2. Solaris

SFTP errorcode 1 when run on cron but runs manually

I am trying to run a sript on cron to SFTP data to a company. Private and public keys are set up. When I run this manully it works fine, however it was failing when run on cron. I have narrowed down the problem - it fails at the code that says if the error code is 0 then continue . . . I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi.Ebbs
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs fine, but not in a cron

Okay, I have the following script that runs fine from a command line as well as an executable .sh file. It just moves any file/folder with movie* in the name to a folder called _Movies. The issue I'm running into is when it's call from a cron. find /mnt/HD_a2/BT/complete -iname "movie.*" -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammyk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON shell script only runs correctly on command line

Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I'm hoping that someone can solve this problem... To make things short: I have DD-wrt set up on a router. I'm trying to run a script in CRON that fetches the daily password from my database using SSH. CRON is set like so(in web interface): * * * *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louieaw
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script runs good manually but not through Cron tab

Hello Every one, I have a shell script which is running fine manually, but its giving me hard time when running tru cron job. :wall:. Am using #!/usr/bin/ksh >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh Cron Job is as below, it execues but dosent do what i want it to do. 47 15 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren.chowdhary
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script only runs as a particular user

Hi guys So I've got this PERL script that for one reason or another I need to run as a user other than the user that created the script. When I su - to another user the script won't run and doesn't give me any output as to why. No permission denied or anything like that. I've chmod 777'd the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
5 Replies

7. AIX

Script runs in shell but not cron

We run some menu driven software that has the ability to batch menu paths and generate reports quickly. Normally you run a batch like: $ BATCH BATCHNAME The batch program then prompts you for the date you want the report run for. I got some help from some folks on IRC to do the following: BATCH... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Odd results when my script runs from cron..

Hi folks, So I wrote a script to run "top", "awk" out values fro the "top" and send the results to a data file. I then set it to run in cron every 15 minutes. Now I'm noticing that the script, and it's sub-commands are not always cleanly finishing and, in my investigations, I am also... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs in command-line fine but times out in CRON?

Hi, I have a script that seems to run to completion when in the command-line, but when it is run using the cron, it seems to time out. They both start and run fine, but on the CRON it stops prematurely. The script hits an API every few seconds and grabs data. Does anyone have any idea on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the characters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/filter || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to `/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. For example, a reasonable additions is vacation(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the /usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs. Also, including mail filtering programs such as procmail(1) is a very bad idea. procmail(1) allows users to run arbitrary programs in their procmailrc(5). COMPILATION
Compilation should be trivial on most systems. You may need to use -DSMRSH_PATH="path" to adjust the default search path (defaults to ``/bin:/usr/bin'') and/or -DSMRSH_CMDDIR="dir" to change the default program directory (defaults to ``/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/''). FILES
/usr/lib/sendmail.d/bin/ - default directory for restricted programs on SuSE Linux SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2004/08/06 03:55:35 $ SMRSH(8)