Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Su Password Oddity
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Su Password Oddity Post 22224 by raju on Wednesday 29th of May 2002 07:39:53 PM
Old 05-29-2002
Tools

check your /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts files.....
trusted host allow user logins without password.
also uncomment the line console=/dev/console in /etc/default/login , and sulog=/var/adm/sulog in /etc/default/su , to check the problem on console.

raju
raju

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Textual oddity

This is my first post!! I really hope this question hasn't been asked a thousand times before(I'll bet it has). Anyway, here it is. I am new to the UNIX world by the way so forgive my ignorance. OK, whenever I write code on my windows machine and then try to port it over to UNIX I always get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jubba
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTP oddity

I am using smartFTP client on my windows machine to connect to a linux box of mine (different location) to download some large files 100+meg. The linux box is running vsftp. After several minutes of downloading, the connection suddenly dies, and I cannot reconnect to the box via FTP using ANY... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
7 Replies

3. AIX

AIX SAN configuration problems/oddity

Hi, I have a strange problem. we're trying to connect an IBM pseries, to a Brocade switch, for SAN acess, using a badged emulex card, (IBM FC6239) WE can configure the device to see the fabric. The only problem we have is that the Brocade sees the HBA as storage, and not as a HBA. We've zoned... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praxis22
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TR squeeze oddity

I discovered that where 'tr -s' works as expected on grepped input, it appears to completely fail on dig results. I am not sure if this is because of some sort of non posix compliancy, or what. Here is what I did: The command below works as expected, squeezing all repeated spaces to a single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdmeyersc
3 Replies

5. BSD

Cron Oddity

Our webserver is running FreeBSD, for the last few days we have been having an issue with our cronjobs/mysql server. Specifically we have jobs that execute php scripts to do various things to the website. When running these php scripts manually, via external browser, or lynx on the server, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrfr0g
8 Replies

6. Programming

Java double subtraction oddity (not the usual rounding discrepancy)

I've been going through a java tutorial, and ran across some strangeness in this small example... class SqrRoot { public static void main(String args) { double num,sroot,rerr,resquare; for(num = 1.0; num < 100.0; num++) { sroot = Math.sqrt(num); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trones
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Sort Oddity

All, I'm baffled by some sort behavior on SunOS 5.10 and looking for guidance. Running the command: sort -t'|' -k5,5 -k7,7 -k1,1 -k2,2 -k3,3 -k6,6 -k8,8 test Against the file "test": thirdA||||first||second|Data thirdB||||first||second| thirdC||||first||second|Data... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: effigy
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] awk oddity

I have to apologize for my ignorance so this question is probably stupid. How does awk process a file? Does it read from top of input file to end of file going line by line? Yoda helped me create an awk script that helps me parse the named.conf file and output it into a .csv file but when... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

System call oddity

Hi all, I'm trying to use bash to create a basic parser for some text, because basic grep/sed/awk have all my needs covered. So, I'm creating the chain of grep/sed I need and trying the execute that on the data I gather. The problem is, it's not working as it does when hardcoded. e.g. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beomagi
3 Replies
pam_console(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					    pam_console(8)

NAME
pam_console - determine user owning the system console SYNOPSIS
session optional pam_console.so auth required pam_console.so DESCRIPTION
pam_console.so is designed to give users at the physical console (virtual terminals and local xdm-managed X sessions by default, but that is configurable) capabilities that they would not otherwise have, and to take those capabilities away when the are no longer logged in at the console. It provides two main kinds of capabilities: file permissions and authentication. When a user logs in at the console and no other user is currently logged in at the console, pam_console.so will run handler programs speci- fied in the file /etc/security/console.handlers such as pam_console_apply which changes permissions and ownership of files as described in the file /etc/security/console.perms. That user may then log in on other terminals that are considered part of the console, and as long as the user is still logged in at any one of those terminals, that user will own those devices. When the user logs out of the last terminal, the console may be taken by the next user to log in. Other users who have logged in at the console during the time that the first user was logged in will not be given ownership of the devices unless they log in on one of the terminals; having done so on any one terminal, the next user will own those devices until he or she has logged out of every terminal that is part of the physical console. Then the race can start for the next user. In practice, this is not a problem; the physical console is not generally in use by many people at the same time, and pam_console.so just tries to do the right thing in weird cases. When an application attempts to authenticate the user and this user is already logged in at the console, pam_console.so checks whether there is a file in /etc/security/console.apps/ directory with the same name as the application servicename, and if such a file exists, authentication succeeds. This way pam_console may be utilized to run some system applications (reboots, config tools) without root pass- word, or to enter user password on the first system login only. ARGUMENTS
debug turns on debugging allow_nonroot_tty gain console locks and change permissions even if the TTY's owner is not root. handlersfile=filename tells pam_console.so to get the list of the handlers from a different file than /etc/security/console.handlers EXAMPLE
/etc/pam.d/some-system-tool: auth sufficient pam_rootok.so auth required pam_console.so /etc/pam.d/some-login-service: auth sufficient pam_console.so auth required pam_unix.so session required pam_unix.so session optional pam_console.so FILES
/var/run/console/ /var/run/console/console.lock /etc/security/console.apps /etc/security/console.handlers SECURITY NOTES
When pam_console "auth" is used for login services which provide possibility of remote login, it is necessary to make sure the application correctly sets PAM_RHOST variable, or to deny remote logins completely. Currently, /bin/login (invoked from telnetd) and gdm is OK, others may be not. SEE ALSO
console.perms(5) console.apps(5) console.handlers(5) pam_console_apply(8) /usr/share/doc/pam*/html/index.html BUGS
Let's hope not, but if you find any, please report them via the "Bug Track" link at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/ AUTHORS
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Support of console.handlers and other improvements by Tomas Mraz <tmraz@redhat.com> Red Hat 2005/10/4 pam_console(8)