Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DES Encryption
Top Forums Programming DES Encryption Post 22187 by Maestin on Wednesday 29th of May 2002 10:52:39 AM
Old 05-29-2002
Java DES Encryption

Hello

I'm writing a program to "lock" my computer while in X-mode (sort of my own version of xlock).

I've written the basic stuff.. but now I need encrypt the entered password, and compare it to the encrypted password in the /etc/shadow-file..

I looked in the man-pages for 'des', but I'm a little confused..

There are lots of function there, that generate keys, and encrypt data in different ways..

Which one should I use for my purpose?

//Maestin

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

MD5 to DES encryption

Is it possible to change the type of encryption from MD5 to DES without removing a user? Way back when this server was created, users were created with the MD5 encryption. Now, all users created with DES encryption. Is it possible to just change the type of password encryption? Users using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Larsonist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma, I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

3. Programming

Help needed regarding Triple Des

Hi, Does anyone know of a good site where i can find C source code example of Triple Des algorithim? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies
crypt(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  crypt(3)

NAME
crypt, crypt16, setkey, encrypt - DES encryption SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> char *crypt( const char *key, const char *salt); char *crypt16( const char *key, const char *salt); void setkey( const char *key); DESCRIPTION
The subroutine is the password encryption routine. It is based on the NBS Data Encryption Standard, with variations intended to frustrate use of hardware implementations of the DES for key search. The first argument to is normally a user's typed password. The second is a 2-character string chosen from the set [a-zA-Z0-9./]. The salt string is used to perturb the DES algorithm in one of 4096 different ways, after which the password is used as the key to encrypt repeat- edly a constant string. The returned value points to the encrypted password, in the same alphabet as the salt. The first two characters are the salt itself. The subroutine is identical to the function except that it will accept a password up to sixteen characters in length. It generates a longer encrypted password for use with enhanced security features. The other entries provide primitive access to the actual DES algorithm. The argument of is a character array of length 64 containing only the characters with numerical value 0 and 1. If this string is divided into groups of 8, the low-order bit in each group is ignored, lead- ing to a 56-bit key which is set into the machine. The argument to the entry is likewise a character array of length 64 containing 0s and 1s. The argument array is modified in place to a similar array representing the bits of the argument after having been subjected to the DES algorithm using the key set by If edflag is 0, the argument is encrypted; if non-zero, it is decrypted. RESTRICTIONS
The return values from and point to static data areas whose content is overwritten by each call. ENVIRONMENT
Default Environment In the default environment on systems that do not have the optional encryption software installed the function expects exactly one argu- ment, the data to be encrypted. The edflag argument is not supplied and there is no way to decrypt data. If the optional encryption soft- ware is installed the function behaves as it does in the POSIX environment. The syntax for the default environment follows: void encrypt(block) char *block; POSIX Environment In the POSIX environment the encrypt function always expects two arguments. The function will set errno to ENOSYS and return if edflag is non-zero and the optional encryption software is not present. The syntax for the POSIX environment follows: void encrypt(block, edflag) char *block; int edflag; In all cases the function will set errno to ENOSYS and return if the optional encryption software is not present. RELATED INFORMATION
login(1), passwd(1), yppasswd(1), getpass(3), passwd(4), prpasswd(4) delim off crypt(3)