Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: traceroute output?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers traceroute output? Post 22087 by justine petrie on Tuesday 28th of May 2002 04:08:27 AM
Old 05-28-2002
raju - can you explain a bit more about the network loading issues when using traceroute in an automated script?

Why is the network loaded?
Are the ICMP packets a problem?
Does traceroute have much effect on the network?
What other issues does traceroute product?

NB: I am looking to use traceroute in a script as part of a trail test on a network.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how we can use traceroute

how we can use traceroute in unix c so how we can get the output of traceroute command in c thank u,inadvance sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

traceroute

Hi, Can any one suggest me an add on feature for the traceroute command. Thanks in advance. Regards, Selvi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvi
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Puzzling Traceroute output

This is the output that I get every so often when trying to do a traceroute to the web server whenever it's inaccessible: traceroute to 64.40.98.181 (64.40.98.181), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets 1 207.97.207.194 (207.97.207.194) 2.625 ms 2.840 ms 2.968 ms 2 core1-5.iad1.rackspace.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with ksh parsing traceroute output

Good day. I am doing an enq -WA (AIX), to get a list of the print queues, I then compare that to the /etc/hosts file to 'match' the IP address associated with the print queues. What I want to do is to run a traceroute with up to 5 hops, and perform an output to a file with some "specific items".... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

traceroute

Good afternoon Can anyone explain traceroutes to me and when it would be necessary/what situations would call one to use it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Explain and example of traceroute.

Hi Colleagues, Somebody can explain me and send me examples about traceroute, I know is for network but I need anderstand your funcionality. Thank you for advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traceroute Query

Hi guys, Quick traceroute query. As part of some research I'm doing I need to send a traceroute to an equal number of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on the net and basically capture the number of hops, and intermediate IP addresses from the traces. This all needs to be automated as there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: churchill
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Traceroute

I have some question about traceroute: 1. Can we hide our computer from traceroute? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budiantho_indra
2 Replies
TRACEROUTE(1)                                                      User Commands                                                     TRACEROUTE(1)

NAME
traceroute - Trace the route to a host SYNOPSIS
traceroute [OPTION...] HOST DESCRIPTION
Print the route packets trace to network host. -f, --first-hop=NUM Set initial hop distance, that is the time-to-live. -g, --gateways=GATES List of gateways for loose source routing. -I, --icmp Use ICMP ECHO as probe. -m, --max-hop=NUM Set maximal hop count (default is 64). -M, --type=METHOD Use METHOD (icmp or udp) for traceroute operations, defaulting to udp. -p, --port=PORT Use destination PORT port (default is 33434). -q, --tries=NUM Send NUM probe packets per hop (default is 3). --resolve-hostnames Resolve hostnames. -t, --tos=NUM Set type of service (TOS) to NUM. -w, --wait=NUM Wait NUM seconds for response (default is 3). -?, --help Give this help list. --usage Give a short usage message. -V, --version Print program version. GNU inetutils 2015-05-15 TRACEROUTE(1)