Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search for string in vi
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search for string in vi Post 22051 by dtamminx on Monday 27th of May 2002 10:14:40 PM
Old 05-27-2002
Search for string in vi

Hi to everybody, this is my first post!

Well, apparently I am newbie and trying to figure how to search for a string when I am editing a script in vi. How do I keep searching for that string and how can I get out of search if I want to stop the search. Guide me to any doc or manpage.

Thank you all in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2?

Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files: File_1: Abf1 YKL112w Abf1 YAL054c Abf1 YGL234w Ace2 YKL150w Ace2 YNL328c Cup9 YDR441c Cup9 YDR442w Cup9 YEL040w ... File 2: ... ABF1 YKL112W ACE2 YLR131C (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search one string and then search another string in the next line

I am unable to use grep comman to Print only EmpPosition and if the EmpID next line. So output should be both EmpPosition and EmpID and also EmpPosition and EmpID data should match. Sample Data EmpPosition "New" EmpID "New" - - EmpPosition "New" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search a string and display its location on the entire string and make a text file

I want to search a small string in a large string and find the locations of the string. For this I used grep "string" -ob <file name where the large string is stored>. Now this gives me the locations of that string. Now how do I store these locations in a text file. Please use CODE tags as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ANKIT ROY
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
CREATE TEXT SEARCH 
DICTIONARY(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY(7) NAME
CREATE_TEXT_SEARCH_DICTIONARY - define a new text search dictionary SYNOPSIS
CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY name ( TEMPLATE = template [, option = value [, ... ]] ) DESCRIPTION
CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY creates a new text search dictionary. A text search dictionary specifies a way of recognizing interesting or uninteresting words for searching. A dictionary depends on a text search template, which specifies the functions that actually perform the work. Typically the dictionary provides some options that control the detailed behavior of the template's functions. If a schema name is given then the text search dictionary is created in the specified schema. Otherwise it is created in the current schema. The user who defines a text search dictionary becomes its owner. Refer to Chapter 12, Full Text Search, in the documentation for further information. PARAMETERS
name The name of the text search dictionary to be created. The name can be schema-qualified. template The name of the text search template that will define the basic behavior of this dictionary. option The name of a template-specific option to be set for this dictionary. value The value to use for a template-specific option. If the value is not a simple identifier or number, it must be quoted (but you can always quote it, if you wish). The options can appear in any order. EXAMPLES
The following example command creates a Snowball-based dictionary with a nonstandard list of stop words. CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY my_russian ( template = snowball, language = russian, stopwords = myrussian ); COMPATIBILITY
There is no CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY (ALTER_TEXT_SEARCH_DICTIONARY(7)), DROP TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY (DROP_TEXT_SEARCH_DICTIONARY(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY(7)