Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: traceroute output?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers traceroute output? Post 22022 by justine petrie on Monday 27th of May 2002 07:59:01 AM
Old 05-27-2002
traceroute output?

I understand the concept of traceroute - can anyone explain the output to me e.g. 39ms 39ms 39ms are these the times for each trip it takes? Assuming each machine is pinged 3 times.

and how does the RTT work? Is this the time it takes from one machine to another because it doesn't look like it's accumulative. Any basic explanation would be lovely thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how we can use traceroute

how we can use traceroute in unix c so how we can get the output of traceroute command in c thank u,inadvance sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

traceroute

Hi, Can any one suggest me an add on feature for the traceroute command. Thanks in advance. Regards, Selvi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvi
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Puzzling Traceroute output

This is the output that I get every so often when trying to do a traceroute to the web server whenever it's inaccessible: traceroute to 64.40.98.181 (64.40.98.181), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets 1 207.97.207.194 (207.97.207.194) 2.625 ms 2.840 ms 2.968 ms 2 core1-5.iad1.rackspace.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with ksh parsing traceroute output

Good day. I am doing an enq -WA (AIX), to get a list of the print queues, I then compare that to the /etc/hosts file to 'match' the IP address associated with the print queues. What I want to do is to run a traceroute with up to 5 hops, and perform an output to a file with some "specific items".... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

traceroute

Good afternoon Can anyone explain traceroutes to me and when it would be necessary/what situations would call one to use it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Explain and example of traceroute.

Hi Colleagues, Somebody can explain me and send me examples about traceroute, I know is for network but I need anderstand your funcionality. Thank you for advanced. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Traceroute Query

Hi guys, Quick traceroute query. As part of some research I'm doing I need to send a traceroute to an equal number of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on the net and basically capture the number of hops, and intermediate IP addresses from the traces. This all needs to be automated as there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: churchill
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Traceroute

I have some question about traceroute: 1. Can we hide our computer from traceroute? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budiantho_indra
2 Replies
BOS_GETRESTART(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BOS_GETRESTART(8)

NAME
bos_getrestart - Displays the automatic restart times for server processes SYNOPSIS
bos getrestart -server <machine name> [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos getr -s <machine name> [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos getrestart command displays two restart times from the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file on the server machine named by the -server argument: o The general restart time at which the BOS Server process automatically restarts itself and all processes marked with status "Run" in the BosConfig file. The default is Sunday at 4:00 a.m. o The binary restart time at which the BOS Server automatically restarts any process for which the time stamp on the binary file in the /usr/lib/openafs directory is later than the last restart time for the process. The default is 5:00 a.m. Use the bos getdate command to list a binary file's timestamp, and the -long flag to the bos status command to display a process's most recent restart time. Use the bos setrestart command to set the restart times. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine for which to display the restart times. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully- qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output consists of two lines: Server <machine_name> restarts at <time> Server <machine_name> restarts for new binaries at <time> Possible values for <time> include: o "never", indicating that the BOS Server never performs that type of restart. o "now", indicating that the BOS Server performs that type of restart only each time it restarts. o A specified day and time, indicating that the BOS Server performs that type of restart once per week. Example: "sun 4:00 am". o A specified time, indicating that the BOS Server performs that type of restart once per day. Examples: "11:00 pm", "3:00 am". EXAMPLES
The following example displays the restart times for the machine "db2.abc.com": % bos getrestart db2.abc.com Server db2.abc.com restarts at sun 4:00 am Server db2.abc.com restarts for new binaries at 2:15 am In the following example, the issuer abbreviates the machine name "fs1.abc.com" to "fs1", relying on the cell's name server to resolve the name. The output echoes the abbreviated form. % bos getrestart fs1 Server fs1 restarts at sat 5:00 am Server fs1 restarts for new binaries at 11:30 pm PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), bos(8), bos_getdate(8), bos_setrestart(8), bos_status(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_GETRESTART(8)