Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix System Total Replication Post 2198 by claudio on Friday 27th of April 2001 10:26:41 AM
Old 04-27-2001
Network Attempted Mirroring with dd: failed

Dear Neo & Nuraman,

we had the same problem and wanted to mirror our boot disk
to a backup one. So we tried to use dd as suggested by Neo.
Our boot disk is partitioned in eight... partitions.
Our backup disk is exactly the same as the boot one (same
model, size) and has been partitioned in the same way as the boot one.
So we tried to dd each partition on the boot disk to the
corresponding partition on the backup

Example: dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 of=/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0

At the end, we took a look at the backup disk: it was
empty, no file which was on the boot disk was found on the
backup.
We even tried to swap disks, but the server does not boot
anymore, a message is shown saying: Boot failed, loaded
file is not executable.

Did we dd'ed the correct devices ?
On our system there are the same partitions listed as
/dev/rdsk/c0t...
May be we must dd those devices instead ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is this the UNIX operating system board? TOTAL NEWBIE

I'm trying to find information to help me switch to UNIX os from Windows98. Is this where I should be? If so, can someone get me started? I have a Compaq Presario 5030 with a USR 56k modem and other peripherials. Sound card is integrated onto the motherboard (I think). So, I need drivers, etc. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leohutt
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP Unix replication solution

Hi, I looking to setup HP Unix to HP Unix replication as plan of business continuity. The setup can be active passive or active active. Anyone can give me some idea what solution able to perform that? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ufo_999
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How should I know the total RAM available on UNIX

Hi How Should I know the Total RAM available on HP-UX box? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skull123
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

folder replication between windows and unix

1. How do i replicate folders between windows and unix. if i create a subfolder under NDC in windows, it should automatically create a subfolder in unix as well. windows nt /NDC/SUBFOLDERS hp ux /NDC/SUBFOLDERS 2. How do i ftp a file from windows to unix using automated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemsb
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df+du=Total space allocated(for a file system)

Hi All, Will df+du=Total space allocted for a file system?? Is the above correct. Please correct me If iam wrong. In one my programs the above is not happening. Please help me out. Many thanks. Regards, Manas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive Replication of Unix folders to Windows

Requirements: ftp files recursively from unix to windows. Replicate directory paths on unix (source) to windows (destination) and place files in their respective folders. There are no set number of files per directory nor fix number of dirA or dirB etc.... Source OS: Solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlv_99
5 Replies

8. Linux

Increasing total data size per file system request for block drivers

Hi All, I am writing a block driver for a 2GB SD card where i get the total amount of data per request as follows: struct request *req; uint card_addr,total_bytes; struct request_queue *rq = BlkDev->queue; req = elv_next_request(rq); .. .. card_addr = req->sector*512;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amio
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)